Bens eflite j-3 25e cub rebuild

Started by Gregor77, September 30, 2015, 09:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Many of you remember Ben's yellow cub gracing temac and all the float flies. Well unfortunately it ended up pan caking into the runway at the oakville fun fly and was striped down. Pretty much ready for the bin. I asked Ben if I could have it. We worked out a deal and it sat for a few years from the ceiling of the basement. I was collecting parts here and there. Last week after hearing the news from Jack, I started to binge repair. First my klemm 35 and now ben's cub.

Gregor77

A little fun with my new/old float plane.

Gregor77

A smashed plane is always a painful site. Arfs can be tricky especially when a section is gone. I like to make a straight line on my bench or tape as a reference. This helps to make sure things are straight. Then tape the plane down. I started from the bottom and used some balsa stripes to make a template for the structure. This allowed me to reference views of Cubs to make sure everything was looking right.

Gregor77

Once the nose looked right. I started to make a plywood firewall and made sure the thrust angles were close for the type of plane. (Bit down and right). After a ton of sanding and fitting. I started to sheet the outside. Once it looked good and the nose cone fit. It was time to cover with self adhesive covering by h9. Actually prior to covering. I used thin balsa and used windex on the side that flex is required. It swells the wood and then drys to form.

Gregor77

The eflite j3 and super cub 25e are roughly 1/6 scale. So they work well with the gijoe 12" figures and others like did and dragon. You can find these online and lucky if you get them from a garage sale or flee market. Barbi ken clothes work great for that Hawaii look.

bfeist

Gorgeous, greg. That plane flew like a dream. It's great to see it back in shape.

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"