Masking without removing paint

Started by octagon, January 27, 2016, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Hi Guys,
One of my projects this winter is to redo my Habu 2 in RCAF colours. I decided to do it silver with red wing tips and horizontal stabilizers. I sanded and filled all the dents it had in it from before I bought it from Michael (just kidding Mike). Anyway, it now has a coat of silver over 2 coats or polycrylic. Here is the question. I need to mask off the silver so I can spray the red. if I apply the tape (I'm using the stuff made by tamiya) when I remove it, the silver comes with it. How can I stop this from happening? When I was a kid, and we were using butyrate dope over silkspan, we sometimes used wet newspaper to mask areas off. Has anyone tried that on foam using enamel? The only other thing I can think to do is to use trim sheets of monocote or something, but I would prefer to paint it if I can.
Thanks in advance
Rob
What could possibly go wrong?

Skyking

Hi Rob,

I sometimes use liquid mask (sold at Pinnacle).
You paint it all over the area then using a new xacto blade slice through and peel off the portion you don't need.
It comes away like a little bit of rubber cement (stretchy).
After painting remove the rest by peeling.
It does not remove underlying paint.
That's one solution.

Ken
Actually, I can.

octagon

Thanks Ken. I was experimenting this morning using utlracote with the iron set to 220 degrees with a cotton shoe on it. It seemed to work pretty well, although I was using an old wing from something else. Might try that.
What could possibly go wrong?

Wingnutz

Rob,
Have you tried Frog tape? I think that's what I used on my FlyFly F-86 and it didn't pull the Tamiya rattle can gold.
Good luck finding the right stuff
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!