From foam to flight 2016

Started by Gregor77, December 27, 2015, 08:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well. Today I am going to start working on a foam model. Not buying a kit, but heading to lowes and Home Depot and buying a few sheets of pink or blue foam. 1" / 1/2" and 1/4". 1 piece of 1/4 ply and that should be it. My plan is to use a 3 view with some simple RC plans and build a 1/6 plane. With all the years of temac classes and experience. I hope to get this done for late spring.

Wingnutz

Applause for your Foam to Flight 2016 project!  Sounds like your Bf-109 will be 1600-1700 mm ws?
Keep us posted on the build...knowing how quickly you build qnd what hours you keep, I'mguessing it won't take long!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

Greg,

Go for it!  You'll do anything to attend the build classes.  Would love to see the project as it develops.

Greg, I have some BF 109 plans for a .25 size.  I will rummage through my collection of about 200 plans and get it to you on New Year's Day.  It will serve as a starting point.  It is easy to blow up plans using a few tricks.  Some elements (ribs, formers, etc.) can be magnified at Staples on their copiers.

So now your strategy has shifted to "dear, I just have to go to Home Depot to get some materials"  Like she will never suspect it!  :D

Frank

ps: bring the crashed plane (P-51?)you wanted to sell/donate.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Greg,

The information package on the BF 109 contains the following:

- a quite detailed 24" balsa model from R/C Scale International.  It has bulkheads and ribs shown on the plans.
- a full size plan of an Me 109 e,  43" span .25 size.  It includes the magazine write-up and approx. 50 photos of close-up details of a full size plane.
- 1/40 true scale drawings (3 views) from Flying Scale Models.

At least between these 3 sets you will have scale outlines of the real thing so you can start picking your own size.  Please remember that if you are scaling up from true scale drawings you need to enlarge the tail feathers about 15% from scale or you will have your hands full... and your pants too! ;D

All plans courtesy of Ken Ross.  He donated all his magazines with plans to the club.

Will bring the package on New Year's day.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Hey Greg,

This will be great.  I'm looking forward to seeing the approach you take.