Catalina PBY 6 flying boat

Started by Michael, June 07, 2016, 06:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

There was a 6-foot wingspan Aeronaut Catalina PBY flying boat model sitting at AJ hobby for more than 8 years. Now it's mine.

It's an ARF, but it will still take a couple months to build. It can be built for land or water, so I'll build it for water, but still fly it from the grass.

In the meantime, I have to decide on a finish. The photo below is a vintage Canadian version, but I did this on my DC3 and my Albatross.

Any suggestions?

Michael

sihinch

That looks magic!

Or this one?

Oscar

PBY 5-A Alaska Coastal Ellis Airlines

Easy to see when flying in cloudy day or sunset. 

battlestu

go for a star wars theme
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

I'm considering a minimalist approach.

Michael

sihinch

Noooo! This.

piker

Yikes!  I hope you didn't pay the price on the box!!   I asked Arden for a good price on it a couple of years ago, and even at the half price he offered, I felt it was way too much.  I would have jumped at 1/4 price.  I won't ask you here what you paid for it... but I WILL ask in person... between you and me.   ;D

But a VERY nice kit!!!

battlestu

the aluminium falcon is very minimalist and as a plus you get to quote these awesome Star Wars lines:

"punch it chewy"
"this float plane made the kessel run in under 12 parsecs"
"i have a bad feeling about this"
"the float is strong with this one"

see the fun is endless ;)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

There are many more than 100 pieces to put together, and the wood parts have to be finished, so this isn't a 2-night project.

Anyway, I fit the plywood wing hold down-parts, glued them, measured and measured, drilled holes, cut (threaded/tapped) the holes, and fit the wing.

We're on our way.
Michael

piker

Michael

Over the last 2 days, I made the fin/rudder hinge; not exactly ARF speed.

It was a fair bit of work (measuring, fitting, filing, cutting, gluing, sanding, etc.), and it took a lot of thought, but it's done, and it swings freely and accurately.

There's still more work to be done on the fin (top, bottom, and cut-out for the stabilizer/elevator center.
Michael

octagon

looks great Mike. I just came up from the shop after spending about an hour getting the incidence right on the lower wing of the Newport 11. I think I nailed it. Need 1/2 to 1 degree of negative incidence. Downloaded a neet app for my iphone that measures angles.I will join you at Rogo tomorrow.
What could possibly go wrong?

Oscar

Rob - what's the name of the app that measure the angles?  I wonder there is one for Android. 

octagon

Hi Oscar. It is called Tiltmeter. It is pretty cool.
What could possibly go wrong?

bfeist