Windfree

Started by octagon, December 30, 2016, 09:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Hi Guys,
Had to post this because I am so delighted to have been able to find a Windfree kit. The Windfree was a model from Marks Models. It was a sailplane and won the 1970 and 1971 Nats. I built one about 1974 and loved the way the thing flew. It has long slender wings and a full flying horizontal stab, so it soared well but was fun with aerobatics too. One day at a sod farm up Bradford way I was launching from a high start. I really reefed it and managed to tip stall it. My final memories of that plane was it being pull across the ground by the high start, pieces of it being broken off as it went and a servo or two being dragged along behind it. For about the last 6 months I have been thinking of building another Windfree, so imagine how happy I was when Nigel at Pinnacle Hobbies told me 1. He had an un built kit and 2. I could buy it. The kit was started with one wing being built, but whoever did it built it very well and strait. I am just finishing up a Great Planes Spectra and as soon as that is done the Windfree will be on the board! I think I will cover it like my one from 40 years ago, black fuse and yellow wings. Man I am happy
What could possibly go wrong?

pmackenzie

String launch, or are you going to put a prop in the nose?

octagon

So the Windfree is going together. Funny thing is that although I built one of these 40 years ago, I honestly do not remember the build itself back then. Tonight I finished probably the most tricky part of the plane, making sure that the wings, which slide on rods that are attached to bulkheads by J screws, have the same incidence, sweep angle and dihedral. When I put everything together the first time, it was close but the incidence was off just a bit. About 30 minutes of Mcgivering fixed that. Everything is square and tight and so I glued it all and now I am going to watch football.

octagon

Got a chance to do a couple more hours work on the Windfree this afternoon. Radio, motor, esc and servos in. Full flying horizontal stab finished. Control rods in. I need about another 2 hours, maybe 3 with final sanding, and then whatever time it takes to cover it and it is ready to fly. The Top Flite Spitfire in the background is my next project.

Gregor77

octagon

Just have to cover the left wing and the Windfree is done. I covered it in the same colours I used for the one I built 35 years ago. I used Econocote for the wings, what nice covering to work with, and it is only about 2/3 the cost of Ultracote. Should have the sailplane of my building bench Sunday, and on the the Top Flite Spitfire. Hope to pick up bits for it at Kitchener swap meet Saturday.

octagon

I finished up the Windfree this afternoon. It came out pretty well. The kit was an original one from the 70s. Although a straightforward build, it would not be a  good first  kit, as much of the building instructions assumed you know basic building strategy.  I guess back then many more people built planes than now. The wood for the most part was surprisingly good, even after 35 years in a box! I really look forward to flying this plane as soon as I can.

BJROB

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

sihinch

Fast building Rob!  Looks great.