Big Planes, Big Safety

Started by Gregor77, May 22, 2013, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Ok, so besides the park fliers, what are some safety items that you need for a large scale plane.  I have a switch that turns the ESC and Motor on to make it live.  But is there any other features to prevent lose of a plane in flight?  I saw a guy with a pitts 30CC+ plane and it had two Spektrum units and it would switch to the other one in flight if needed.  It also had a monitor that told him how many times this occurred.  Is there some other items out there worth considering?

Bobmic

Hi Greg,

I guess before the receiver redundancy I am sure you are adding a separate battery for the receiver, this is the easiest thing to do. To be on the safe side you should probably add a second satellite and mount it far from the first one.
I am not sure which switch you refer to - one that controls the ESC input signal or one that disconnects the the power from the battery. If its the one to the battery make sure you add a smaller connector to reduce the spark as I assume you are planning 6S and above.
I have seen systems that have redundancy for power and receiver but I am not sure how much are you planning to spend on this project.

As a last resort wear a helmet and safety glasses - this way you will be safe and will also have the experience of almost flying - we can blow some air towards your face with a small fan to complete the experience :)

Polecat

Greg
I would go with the LiFe RX packs[Hobbico], they are lite and provide 6.6V. If for some reason your ESC/Motor packs it in, you could still guide your airplane back to the field for a safe landing.
The largest electric, I have is a 57" Wild Hare Slick 540, but have been thinking of going with the RX pack.
Ken

Bobmic

I have a question about Life batteries - I thought the reason for using these batteries is the fact that they are 6.6V and a BEC/UBEC is not required however the servo spec's are 4.8v/6/0V not 6.6V - am I missing something here?

Ededge2002

I use a LiFe 2s pack in the hotliner.  The loaded voltage is 6v and its been perfect. No bec, compact,  quick recharge,  faster more powerful servos  and nice high receiver voltage. Mine is a 1100mA pack and two 20 minute flights uses just 160mA of it. Only thing to watch is that some servos are not rated for 6volts  nd should not be used. 

Far as I've found its all win
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Just make sure you remember to charge it!

Bobmic

Quote from: Ededge2002 on May 23, 2013, 01:17:36 PM
I use a LiFe 2s pack in the hotliner.  The loaded voltage is 6v and its been perfect. No bec, compact,  quick recharge,  faster more powerful servos  and nice high receiver voltage. Mine is a 1100mA pack and two 20 minute flights uses just 160mA of it. Only thing to watch is that some servos are not rated for 6volts  nd should not be used. 

Far as I've found its all win

Hi Ed
So the difference between LiFe and LiPo in this case is only the BEC and thus reducing one more component that might have a problem or is there something else - On the Deuces Wild I have a BEC and a separate LiPo.
The servos I am using in all my planes are rated to 6V not 6.6V but I guess as per your note under load it should drop to 6V.
What is "nd" ...servos are not rated for 6volts  nd should not be used.  ...

-Simon, Since it is not easy to get to the Rx battery at the field I have a switch for this battery that goes through a voltage display, so I roughly know what is the status of the Tx battery. I know this is not the best as it doesn't show the voltage per cell but if I did that I had to hook up to the balance port and cut the wires to go through a switch, otherwise it will be on all day.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18825__On_Board_LED_RX_Voltage_Display.html

Thanks,
Bobby

Ededge2002

" ...servos are not rated for 6volts nd should not be used. ..."

That was a phone auto correct for "and"  sorry for any confusion.

I charge the pack for every day I take out the plane so I know its charged and check the mA required to get it full as a way to watch for sudden drain increase. As I was starting fresh it seemed logical to me to go LiFe instead of other options.  Yes it removes one less point of failure but the cells are also much safer and are less bothered with storage voltage.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Quote from: Bobmic on May 24, 2013, 08:15:05 AM
-Simon, Since it is not easy to get to the Rx battery at the field I have a switch for this battery that goes through a voltage display, so I roughly know what is the status of the Tx battery. I know this is not the best as it doesn't show the voltage per cell but if I did that I had to hook up to the balance port and cut the wires to go through a switch, otherwise it will be on all day.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18825__On_Board_LED_RX_Voltage_Display.html

Really like the look of this - may have to get one when they are back in stock!

bfeist

I've had a separate BEC save me when the speed control caught fire in my 13' sailaire at altitude. I did a little blue smoke sky-writing, then deadsticked it.