which batteries are better?

Started by Bridger, April 18, 2024, 10:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridger

Hi All
I have finally put together my first big boy plane, the Apprentice and have a question re batteries. I have a single 3s 2200mAh that im using for setting the plane up, I want to get a couple of batteries for flying. The plane will take 3s 3200-4000mAh. Is it worth buying the 4000 mAh battery? It's heavier, more expansive and does it really offer that much extra flight time? I would appreciate any opinions on this, please help the new boy  ;)

Michael

Good choice on the Apprentice.

3S 3200 (or 3000 up to 3300) seem to be the most popular, and can often yield 10+ minute flights.
Michael

Bridger

PDS

Hello,

Welcome to the hobby - I hope you find it as exciting as I do!

I am likely the least qualified to give you an opinion!  I only received my wings about a year ago.  I learned on an Apprentice [well, actually two Apprentices - I crashed and repaired the first one so many times it got beyond being airworthy and the parts were harvested and transplanted into other planes   :)  ]
I use a 3300 mAh battery.  The Apprentice is capable of at least a 10 minute flight with that battery - however my "nerves" always run out before the battery!  Ten minutes of hyper-focused concentration is a LONG time!  I rarely fly more than about 7 minutes.  While training my usual routine was: fly, land, pause, settle, pee, replace the battery, repeat.
In my opinion, better to have a few batteries that will give you 7 minutes than one that will give you 15 minutes. Sure, one can reuse the battery for several flights, but I prefer to change it after each flight. I would typically have 4 charged batteries at the field and, for me, that was enough!
Likely some of the more experienced fliers will have a different opinion, but there are my thoughts!
Paul