Anyone planning on flying tomorrow ?

Started by Bobmic, February 01, 2013, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on December 29, 2013, 12:56:06 PM
Sadly, cleaning the house and buying a new duvet cover took priority!

Okay.  You've had more than enough time to clean the house and buy a year's supply of duvet covers.  It's time for snow pants, skis, (or floats if you must) and a trip to ROGO field.  Thomas Kwak has done a terrific job of keeping the driveway open by setting down tracks with his SUV every day.  You NEED to get there.

Andy

Ededge2002

I could not make it to TEMAC today nor have I renewed my membership yet.  I will attend to that shortly...  after I return from Cuba...   I did manage to come as near as I dare to Andy's level of sanity today by maidening an all white plane in a snow storm.  All went well and I plan on bringing it to the pilots meeting hopefully with some form of markings on it.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Ededge2002 on January 05, 2014, 08:06:44 PM
I could not make it to TEMAC today nor have I renewed my membership yet.  I will attend to that shortly...  after I return from Cuba...   I did manage to come as near as I dare to Andy's level of sanity today by maidening an all white plane in a snow storm.  All went well and I plan on bringing it to the pilots meeting hopefully with some form of markings on it.

I did that once!  And I mean once.  All white plane (Ace Tiger Kitten, Astroflight cobalt geared 615 brushed motor on 10 sub-C NiCads) on skis, white overcast day, snow covered ground (nice white reflection off bottom of white plane!!) at the old 14th Avenue field.  A real stealth handful.  Got it into a series of tight loops; I couldn't control it.  Even Andre Wedseltoft couldn't save me, despite his valiant 3 seconds of trying when I desperately handed my transmitter to him after he asked if I needed help.  I have mementos of the wreckage in my airframe collection.  ;D  Thanks to the nice snow cover and tall grass, the motor, servos, and battery all survived the crash.  The airframe was not so fortunate.  One of those events that stays with you forever, burned into long-term memory with crystal clarity!

Andy

Gregor77

Has anyone been to the field lately?  I saw a Massive mound of snow at the enterance prior to the mild weather.   Last year was great and there was that one day were we were out in t-shirts.

Andy Hoffer

Hi Greg:

Thomas and I were out on Sunday (Jan 12).  I tried to shovel away some of the windrow left by the highway plow at the entrance.  The driveway was barely passable (soft ice crust, underlain by slush and water), but Thomas had opened the path with his SUV.  I was able to make it in with my Sienna van with good snow tires, but there were a few tense moments.  Traction was very iffy.  I imagine much of the snow has melted during the week, and expect the ground will be soft.  Walking in might be the best option, but let us know what you find if you go to the field.

Flying was great by the way.  Very slick icy crust on the field.

Andy

Gregor77

Lucky guys.. .Do you think that large wheels would be OK on the crust to take off / Floats?  Carmen and I are getting a RAV Limited AWD, I am hoping that would be OK to take.  The other cars seem a bit low.  I have that Eflite cub that I am dying to try again. That was the one from last year.  I am worried that the floats being fiber glass might take a beating on the ice.

I sold some of the planes and the skii's left with one of them.  They would have worked very well on the Unionville beaver.  As a matter of fact I sold that one too... ooops.

But don't worry, there are still lots of planes left... ;o)

Andy Hoffer

You sold the Unionville Beaver??!!!!!  I will rend my clothing in mourning.

I would not try wheels unless you can spot an untrodden area and keep to it.  Wheels will find footprint potholes and you risk tearing out the landing gear and/or flipping the plane and incurring damage.  Floats should be OK.  I've been OK with DuBro park flyer skis (which are about 2" x 6") on my Mini Funtana, and DuBro aluminum skis (about 2" x 12") on my Sportster (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,4429.msg25988.html#msg25988)

Andy

Gregor77

Besides the fact that it is -15 right now.. 2 km wind..

sihinch

Aren't we due to get 10-15cm of snow tonight?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on January 22, 2014, 03:50:11 PM
Aren't we due to get 10-15cm of snow tonight?

1 cm tonight
5 cm on Friday (30 km winds)
1-3 cm on Saturday and (40 km winds!)
5 cm on Sunday (20 kmh winds; -8C)  - Perfect winter weather!!  And all the "potholes in the field will be filled in!

Lots of great "White Water" float flying left.  Come on Rob.  This one's got your name all over it! 

Andy

piker

thehaze

Everyone knows that the fun only really gets started when the winds hit 45 km/h....  From the East!

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: thehaze on January 22, 2014, 10:18:10 PM
Everyone knows that the fun only really gets started when the winds hit 45 km/h....  From the East!

That's my man!!  I think this would be a good adjunct to your flight training program.   I would be pleased to help out with the winter qual testing.  That way we can make better use of our super-sized, super smooth, white field runway.    :D

Andy

Ededge2002

Got out and had a couple flights just now.  Winds were low but still strong enough to make it quite cold.  Flying with my thin flying gloves I managed two six minute flights before I did the short walk home.  The little plane is a blast to fly and I cant wait to get some nice weather to enjoy.  Robert is always telling me if I flew off of water I would be just a little cooler so I figured I would post a photo of my plane sitting on some.  He failed to point out the temperature of the water! 

(Current conditions -14 (Feels like -22))
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Well, I was right, wasn't I.  After only twelve minutes of flying you were very cool.