Newport 11

Started by octagon, May 16, 2016, 08:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

I have started construction of the Balsa USA Newport 11. The kit is very good. Balsa is top notch and the die cutting is really great. I have finished both the upper wing halves and will start on the lower wing tomorrow.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Nice! What scale or wingspan?
Michael

octagon

It's 1/4 scale. 73 inch wing span.

the giant

This is a cool project.  I look forward to seeing it progress.

piker

Skyking

Thats going to be a great flyer.
Actually, I can.

octagon

Top wing finished and joined, bottom wing halves finished. Next step is to join them. This is a little fiddly, and I want to take my time and get it right. The top wing is dead flat with no dihedral, but was built in 2 pieces because it is swept back. The bottom is built in 3 sections because it has dihedral as well as sweep. The center section is flat and then the wing halves  are joined  to it at the appropriate angles. However, I think it is important to get everything as accurate as possible, and so I will pin and jig everything before gluing with slow set epoxy. Should get that done tonight, so on to the fuse this weekend.

piker

Holly cow!  Are you planning to fly it by next weekend?   ;D

octagon

So I was going to go flying today, but Glenn was at the field ahead of me and said it was very windy and not fun, so I decided to come home and do a bit more work on the Newport 11. The kit continues to impress with the quality of the die cutting, wood and plans, but I think they shorted me about 3 strips of 1/4 by 3/8 balsa. I have a balsa stripper so it was easy to make what I needed.  I got the two sides of the fuselage done tonight. Next step is to start adding the bulkheads. I have been building slowly and carefully so as to try and produce a straight, good flying, enjoyable plane, with  strong and solid joints.

octagon

So I have finished the fuselage and both wings. Tail feathers next. I am still very impressed with the quality of everything in this kit, best I have ever built by far. There was some balsa strips missing, but I had enough on hand so it was not a problem. I am hoping to have it in the air by August, although we are going to Ireland for a couple of weeks in July, so it might not make it till the fall. Have to order the motor and speed control. I want to make it pull/pull, but have never built anything with that, so Greg Cadez has very kindly offered to assist me. 

bweaver

The build is coming along great.  You are really progressing well.

Why don't you delay your trip to Ireland and stay on track with what matters most?  ;)

Have a great summer, keep on building, flying, what ever........

octagon

Well, I could delay the trip to Ireland, but then I would have to find somewhere else to live. Marg is very understanding to a point.

Skyking

You don't waste time do you?
Nice progress.
Ken ( the good looking one)
Actually, I can.

BJROB

Wow
Rob
Nice Job You are fast in the building part for sure....
and a very nice job as well.
very impressive.
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

octagon

Back at it today. I spent about 3 hours total getting the incidence right. It was pretty frustrating, because I would get the incidence right (bottom wing 1 degree negative and the upper 1 degree positive). While maintaining that, the wings have to be parallel to each other and of course the distance between the top of the bottom wing and the bottom of the top wing had to be equal. I don't remember how many times I took it apart and refit it. Tonight I finished the interplane struts and when it is all screwed together it looks pretty close (I hope). Anyway, wings and fuse are done, tailplane is build and the next step is to install that. Then on the the servos and linkages and of course the motor mount, which Balsa usa was kind enough to provide in this 2007 kit. I was hoping to be able to get it in the air this year, but we are going away for a few weeks and that will eat into the building time. If it does fly this year, probably will not be till September.