Understanding AS3X / SAFE / Gyros / Stabilizer

Started by Oscar, April 27, 2017, 10:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motion-rc-blog/gyros-clearing-up-the-stigma

Here is a good article about misconception on using gyros. (AS3X = Gyros = Stabilizer)

SAFE - Remember, it won't enable unless you press the SAFE switch.  It will self level the plane when you active it. The moment you unpress the switch, it's back to normal.

Beginner / Intermediate mode (SAFE rx) - It limits your control. I strongly suggest you don't activate in those mode. It will give you bad habits in excessive stick movement.  Stick with Advanced mode (only AS3X / Gyros / Stabilizer enabled). 

Here is the Copy & Paste from the article.

One of the most unfortunate things to happen in this modern era of high tech in our R/C hobby is the misconception surrounding gyros, especially from some of the older generations.

The prevailing narrative is that gyros "control" your model, somehow removing you as the Pilot In Command.  Or that a gyro is recommended because your stick skills might be lacking. 

Neither of these narratives are true.  A gyro in its simplest form is a device that helps counter the effects of variable wind/weather by making slight adjustments to the control surfaces.  These adjustments in no way hamper or override your normal stick inputs.  Therein lies the confusion.

In stability mode the gyro will always attempt to make just enough correction to the control surfaces to keep your model flying as smoothly as possible, even in moderate wind conditions.  These minor corrections work with the pilot's primary stick movements as a compliment not as an override.

Some folks might mistakenly think they don't need a gyro because they've been flying just fine for years.  With all due respect that's missing the point.  A gyro isn't a statement of your flying ability.  It's a smart device that "smooths out the jitters" common when flying in winds, or helps make a "twitchy" model much less so.  Always remember you still have 100% complete control of your model at all times.

You can really see the impact of a gyro especially in a smaller aircraft when flying in moderate winds.  Where the model without a gyro might be bouncing all over while you fight the sticks in windy conditions, a gyro would allow the model to fly more smoothly, like a much larger model might behave.

I've found gyros to be quite helpful for me from small aircraft to giant scale warbirds and EDF jets.  I don't use gyros in every model but I have found them to be very beneficial without bruising my ego in the process!

So if you have been on the fence about gyros you really should consider giving them a second look.  I promise you won't be disappointed, and your ego will remain intact.

mawz

That's an excellent article.

A few notes on SAFE specifically.

There's a few different flavours of SAFE. They currently are SAFE, SAFE Select and SAFE+

For SAFE (and also included on SAFE+) you get the following flight modes:
Panic Mode - Aggressively self-levels, very limited bank amounts. This is on a momentary 'Panic' switch. It will try and minimize altitude loss when levelling.
Beginner Mode - Self level, mild bank limits.  It will self-level like Panic, just not as aggressively. It will limit bank and pitch, but not yaw.
Intermediate Mode - no self-level, moderate bank limits. It will limit bank and pitch, but not yaw. This is the middle mode on SAFE and SAFE+ airplanes, and may not be available if your transmitter does not have a 3-position switch
Experienced Mode - no self-level, no bank limits. This is the unlimited flight mode on SAFE and SAFE+ airplanes.

SAFE Select - If a SAFE Select airplane is bound in SAFE mode, it gets Beginner and Experienced Modes only. No panic or intermediate modes. If it is bound in No SAFE mode, it is in Experienced Mode (AS3X only) with no SAFE intervention possible.  The bank limits in SAFE mode/beginner mode are usually looser than on the SAFE aircraft.

No SAFE equipped aircraft has any mode that does not have AS3X stabilization active. SAFE+ has additional features depending on aircraft. See your manual about GPS fence & autoland (and other) features of SAFE+.