My other hobby

Started by Canuke, July 16, 2020, 04:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuke

This is the Jefferson Davis 1853. I purchased the kit this winter on ebay. The previous owner had the model since 1990 and had never opened a bag. It is a from Bluejacket Ship Crafters. Plank on frame construction. This is my first painted boat model kit. I posted the flag because the kit came with none. I researched the USA flag for that year. Printed it and reverse printed the other side. Quite a learning experience. Also aluminum foil between the prints in order to establish the folds and make them look real. These models seem to last longer than my planes.

Frank v B

Jim,

Amazing!  Nice work.

F.
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Looks great Jim. I have built a few Billings kits. Lot of work. You did a good job on her.
What could possibly go wrong?

Andy Hoffer

Hi @Canuke .

Beautiful work Jim!  Maybe we should put a moat around the TEMAC runway (with a drawbridges on the taxiways ) for you to sail in.

Your foil layer in the flag is very clever and effective.

Congratulations on a superb piece of building.  (You should photograph it in @bweaver 's pool for added realism!)  And Bruce has a great beach pose to augment your subject.  With a bit of Photoshop work we could even put Bruce right on the deck of your ship.  Or even on the bowsprit!!  :D

Andy

Canuke

After my comment about likely getting no damage I took the boat and placed it on a shelf in the TV room. I went downstairs again and about 10 minutes later I heard a thump. Sandra called down and said to come upstairs. The boat had fallen off the shelf. My crappy home made stand had allowed the boat to fall over onto the floor. I spent last night and today fixing the damage. I'm currently building a better stand.

Andy Hoffer

I guess it needs a failsafe mode!  :'(

Andy