Broke club rule - FPV flying without spotter

Started by Oscar, September 19, 2020, 11:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

I came this morning at the field. Since no one was flying, so I thought I can fly FPV alone.

In between flights, Bruce and Peter came. I thought since they are still preparing , I can fly one more flight before asking them as my spotter.

This is wrong. I am sorry that makes club member upset.

Sorry!

bweaver

Oscar, you are not the only one! The problem is much deeper than you alone.  Think about it!

(I wonder how long this post will last?)

Goodby guys.

Bruce

Michael

FPV solo flying is not allowed at TEMAC. A spotter must be present.

The TEMAC board is now in the process of formalizing penalties for those that break this rule.
Michael

Michael

Quote from: Michael on September 19, 2020, 06:20:51 PM
FPV solo flying is not allowed at TEMAC. A spotter must be present.

The TEMAC board is now in the process of formalizing penalties for those that break this rule.

TEMAC is a club of more than 100 members. Short of having someone policing the field 24/7, I don't know how to prevent such incidences 100% of the time.

It is relatively easy to punish those who might get caught.

Any member wishing to recommend a solution that would prevent such incidences from happening in the first place, would be appreciated.

Michael

Autodrome

The only way I know of is education and awareness.

The more members that understand the dangers and consequences, the lower the number of incidences we will have (hopefully this number will eventually be zero).

Bruce is correct, unfortunately this is happening all too often. Not one day before this incident, I witnessed another FPV flight with a very senor club member flying from the pitt area without a spotter. To make matters worse 3 (yes count'em three, including one current board member) also senior club members were within 10 ft of the pilot but were occupied with their own models. The FPV pilot was left to his own devices. These rules need to be applied to everyone equally if they are to have any effect.

I think the days of one rule for me and another for thee are over.

Michael

The members (FPV flyers) understand the dangers and consequences.

It's possible the incident you mention was when Glenn, David and me (2 board members) were within 10 feet of Ben flying FPV, at the south end of the field. I seem to recall you may have been sitting in a gold-coloured SUV at the north end of the field.

Glenn was spotting for Ben.

If you see what might be a problem, you're free to wait 4 or 5 days and then make a post, or you can deal with it on the spot.

The rules apply to all members.

I am not aware of any single person who complained about another member's transgression, who have not broken rules themselves.

There are productive and positive ways to deal with these issues, or one can make accusations about conspiracies and unfairness. If anyone doesn't like what goes on at TEMAC, feel free to run for the board and run things better, deal with an issue when it happens, or feel free to quit.

All things considered, our members are careful, follow the rules, are polite, and have fun safely.

The size and scope of our club speaks for itself.

Jeff, I will talk to you in person when I see you.
Michael

Athol

Safety is EVERYONE'S RESPONSIBILITY  --  "If you see something, say something"

We have all broken a Safety Rule - some inadvertently, some unknowingly, and some with complete disregard for Safety!
I am a member of the Executive and when I see something, I say something! - I say something "one on one" - I'm not a NIGYSOB!

Each and every one of us should and MUST bring these issues to the attention of the transgressor at the time they see it happening so there is a teaching/learning opportunity taking place while it's fresh in all minds. When it does happen, acknowledge the "learning moment" - be a Coach not a Cop. Maybe post your situatuation on the Forum so others may learn.

I want to add to my post... I was typing up my post as Michael was posting his. Whilst he and I are on the same page as far as his and my post are concerned, we don't always see eye to eye and I think this can be said for everyone. That's called Democracy

bfeist

@Athol wins the award for the post with the most colours.

Athol

Quote from: bfeist on September 22, 2020, 11:10:44 AM
@Athol wins the award for the post with the most colours.

:D Thanks @bfeist - I'll do better by trying to use ALL the colours (updated next) this time 👍
I only just discovered they were available.

Skyking

None of us is perfect.
The most we can hope for is progress not perfection. For all of us.
I think all of us try hard.
We will make mistakes, guaranteed.
Lets continue to learn from them. It's the best we can do.
When I make a mistake I hope you will point it out respectfully.
We have a great club.
Actually, I can.