1/4 scale EP Suggestions Concerns ETC

Started by Gregor77, June 27, 2012, 11:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well, we are all having lots of fun this year.   I noticed that depending on space, some of us are starting to get into larger aircraft.  With that in mind.  I picked up a used 1/4 BUSA pup.   This is a great example that would be great on electric.   I just finished flying my hangar 9 sopwith Camel 60 and now I am looking forward to a larger pup.

I was looking at putting a G160 (HK 290KV motor) with a 120 HV ESC, sep SBEC running on 10S (4000).  Would this be doable on a plane that might wiegh in at 17-20 lbs?

Gregor77

Here is some shots of the 1/4 pup...

With that in mind... I might sell my other one... Maybe.....

bfeist

Amazing looking plane!
Alas I don't have a garage or I might get into 1/4 scale stuff. I'll have to be happy with my new 60 size Revolver for now.

Ben

Michael

Michael

Gregor77

I looked at the plane in more detail.  I need to fix the edge of the wing.  Not a bad issue but the tip is broken.  Easy fix.  I need to also bring the wing into HD and have the upper surface scanned to get a paint match.

I found the colours are actually correct for the plane.  It is a training aircraft in the first world war.  # C215.

So I will just touch it up and not redo the covering. 

As for the other portion of this build, I need to determine the best way to get the batteries mounted.  I have 2x 5S, 4000 packs. 

Here are my thoughs and would like to hear your feedback.

1) Mount the G160 and have batteries mounted on the firewall beside the motor on each side.  This would require cutting or making a hatch at the bottom of the engine cowl.

2) Cut a box under the landing gear and having the batteries mounted on the backside of the firewall.  I could make a door there.  But then I need the extra weight in the nose. 

The G/G is suppoed to be about 5 1/4 from the upper leading edge. 

As for some other issues that I debating.  It has a sep RX battery with a data logger, I am also going to add a terminal near the pilot to have a switch and a extra bind port.   I am also going to make a small mount to attach a camera.

What is the best way to mount rigging?  I want to use the small bungee cords and some metal brackets.  Where can I get the metal brackets? 

Also how do you make the wood around the landing gear?  Is it one piece on each side with a thinner piece on each side to seal it up?  Epoxy the best for this or Hot glue?  This area will flex with the landing gear.

Gregor77

I looked at the size of the G160 that I was planning on using.  Right now the nose is too far out and the PO put a huge chunbk of lead in the nose.  I am sure I will need to add some more as the motor is lighter than the big 2 stroke nitro unit that is in there now.   Plus I will be moving everything back closer to the leading edge as this doesn't look scale and is bother me in some sense.

bfeist

Perhaps your idea of mounting the battery to the front of the firewall would replace the need for lead? With a 5C or 8C charge rate battery pack you wouldn't need more than one pack anyway so you could semi-permanently mount it.

Ben

Gregor77

It looks like there is some room behind the fire wall.. I was measuring the area infront of the engine, but the motor is 3" around and there is no room for the batteries.   Behind the firewall is the only spot.   

piker

Hey Greg!

I'll be interested to see how this plane comes together.  Looks very nice so far.

I'm just rolling the plans out for my 1/4 scale SE5A onto the building board.  It'll be a long build and I plan to take my time and enjoy it (I'll have to take breaks for other projects as I go along, but I've been really getting the itch to do some balsa building lately).  I had purchsed the Efilte 160 and two 5 cell packs (to make 10) for the Mew Gull with the intension of using the power system in the SE5A one day.  Well, after Oakville I found my power system suddenly available   ;D

The advantage I have with the SE5A over the Pup, is the longer nose, allowing (I hope) for a better change of getting a good CG without adding too much lead.

Robert

Gregor77

My stuff arrived... so It is going on the work table as soon as I get home.  with 10S, what connectors should I use?  My 5S have the red plugs (big ones), not sure what they are called.   They come on all the Nanotech batteries.

Madman

I found this a little late but for comparison here is the specs for the system Eric Westletof (Andre's dad) had in his BUSA 1/4 pup.

AXI 5320/34 CC Phoenix HV85 30xGB3700 NiMHs 20x10 Zinger
32A 31.6V 5200 RPM

As a comparison a 26cc gas in a 1/4 Dr.I a guy in my club has turns a 20x6 at 5000 rpm.

Stephen