SIG LT40 (Float Plane?)

Started by Gregor77, October 04, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

I am getting an older SIG LT40.  Would this make a good float plane.  What floats should I get for it?  It is a great trainer from what I can see online.

piker

The Sig LT40 would make a great float plane!  Any "40" size floats would be fine.  The Hanger 9 40 size floats I have work well, but are a bit on the heavy side.

I don't have a good impression of what's out there for floats.  I know the Great Planes float kits build into pretty heavy floats.  The floats on my Cub are Flair floats from England, but I believe they're not available anymore.  Any foam float would be good, but usually requires sheeting and strut construction.  Not difficult and can result in a nice, light set of floats.  It's often necessary to build your own struts anyway, to fit a particular plane.

Maybe a winter meeting (what are they called now... Beer and Balsa, or something like that) "how-to" topic...

Robert

Gregor77

I didn't realise that this plane has a 70" WS.   The 40 Size floats would be good for it.  What about unionville floats?  Ah... Maybe just make some out of foam and fiberglass them.

Thanks for the advice.

piker

I built a set of Unionville floats a while ago (late 90's) and as I recall they worked well enough, but they were a weird shape.  Quite thin in the bow section.  Hmmm... I wonder what happened to those floats.  I used them on my old Falcon 56.

BTW, these look nice.  I've never ordered from here but I may do so when I need new floats:  http://www.seaplanesupply.com/

Robert