Finally - Frank builds his Warwing

Started by Frank v B, March 01, 2020, 06:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I have had a WarWing from Weaver Industries sitting in my office for two years.  I built it last night and am installing the motor and radio tonight.

No there will not be a photo posted of it because it will be critiqued to no end by Bruce.

Here is a chance for the membership to give me input on the colour/design of the paint job.... using Dollarama paints.  Any ideas for highly visible and unique colour combinations are welcome.  Camouflage is not an option.  If you can't see it I can't fly it!  ;D

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

BJROB

That's great Frank 8)
I suggest painting a great big bullseye  :o
It will make it easier for @bweaver to find you....  ;D
And suggest flying caristics from plane to plane :P
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Frank v B

BJ,

Neat idea.  A Canadian Air Force roundel parading as a bulls-eye.
Bill Q (aka Wingnutz) will be proud of the model.

Frank

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on March 01, 2020, 06:35:56 PM
I have had a WarWing from Weaver Industries sitting in my office for two years.  I built it last night and am installing the motor and radio tonight.

No there will not be a photo posted of it because it will be critiqued to no end by Bruce.

Here is a chance for the membership to give me input on the colour/design of the paint job.... using Dollarama paints.  Any ideas for highly visible and unique colour combinations are welcome.  Camouflage is not an option.  If you can't see it I can't fly it!  ;D

Frank

@Frank v B Well it's about freegan time! 

And a target, roundel or bulls-eye painted on it is totally unnecessary, just a pretty ribbon trailing behind it.  I can't wait to see it in person...    (I know the photo will suck.)

Only 2 years?  It has felt like a life time.

Frank v B

Bruce,

Am still laughing at your reply.

re: "(I know the photo will suck.)"
Them's fighting words and will force me to publish a $hittty photo just to ruin your day. :D  The poor photo will wake up Andy as well.  Oops

Frank

ps: bought a E-Flite Apprentice motor at the Kitchener Swap meet for $5.00 just for this plane and servos for $1.00 a piece.  The investment is killing me. :)

davidk

Quote from: Frank v B on March 01, 2020, 06:35:56 PM

Excellent... another WarWing for me to run away from  :D

I suggest bullet holes and a flame motif.

bweaver

Re: ps: bought a E-Flite Apprentice motor at the Kitchener Swap meet for $5.00 just for this plane and servos for $1.00 a piece.  The investment is killing me. :)

You spent way too much!  Need I remind you, it's a warwing you are building. 

Obviously, using an Apprentice motor means that this plane will likely have some durability and longevity potential built into it. 

I just said that to give you hope Frank, because you will need it.   :-*

Where is that picture you have promised?

sihinch

What about the Military version of a "Starsky & Hutch" paint job, Frank?

msatin

I like that Simon - and the call letters will be "Z3"
But will Frank be Starsky or Hutch? And that will leave Bruce to be the other 8)
You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

Sounds good!!

There will be two pilots, one with a bullet hole.  The pilots will be Harsky and Stutch so there will be no fighting over who is who.  There will be a flame coming out of the rear pilot's ass-end.  A plane made by committee.  Love it.

Oh, Bruce, here is the Warwing photo and a bonus one.

The plane comes in its own container (body bag).  The go-fast stuff is under wraps. 8)
The second photo shows the new $1.00 servos in place.*  Note: I will not cut the ailerons free until the pushrods are done.  It stops-em-from-floppin.

Frank

* the length of the servo rails are unequal otherwise it will cause a stress line.  It does not mean I can't measure.  Notice they go past the start of the aileron otherwise it would split there.  Message- always stagger stress areas. Never line them up.

davidk

Oh good... it's got it's own post-flight collection receptacle  :D

Frank v B

Re: "post-flight collection receptacle  :D"

for Bruce's airplane. ;D ;D  Gotta help my friends.

Frank

bweaver

Quote from: Frank v B on March 02, 2020, 08:21:54 PM
Sounds good!!

There will be two pilots, one with a bullet hole.  The pilots will be Harsky and Stutch so there will be no fighting over who is who.  There will be a flame coming out of the rear pilot's ass-end.  A plane made by committee.  Love it.

Oh, Bruce, here is the Warwing photo and a bonus one.

The plane comes in its own container (body bag).  The go-fast stuff is under wraps. 8)
The second photo shows the new $1.00 servos in place.*  Note: I will not cut the ailerons free until the pushrods are done.  It stops-em-from-floppin.

Frank

* the length of the servo rails are unequal otherwise it will cause a stress line.  It does not mean I can't measure.  Notice they go past the start of the aileron otherwise it would split there.  Message- always stagger stress areas. Never line them up.

@Frank v B The best part of this post is your photographs.  (I am or must be getting soft.)

Only two comments about your suggested guidance notes.

1) What you mean to say is 'Offset the servo location to avoid the need to install long servo rails for the purpose of minimizing risks associated with causing a stress line that I (Frank) could have easily avoided'. (Something about hindsight.)

2) Ailerons?

I can't wait until spring and I am no longer impatient!!!!!!!

Frank v B

Bruce,

1) Picky, Picky.
2) ailerators elevons.  Is that better?

Love the photo but I can't help but notice that out of the 6 people, only one has a full-time job.  Poor Oscar.

Frank

ps"- I can hear Bruce sharpening the tips of the props so they are better at cutting ribbons and foam.  I am happy to play target for the first year.

Polecat

Frank
I have some Solar Film Trim, its 12 inches wide, all you have to do is cut out and stick on. You can have it, was going to through in the garbage. Let me know if you want it.

Ken