Simple Power Supply build

Started by Bobmic, May 21, 2013, 08:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Over the past few months I've seen many questions about power supplies so I decided to do a quick write up about my solution.
I needed a second power supply and was considering ordering one from HK or another on line supplier mainly due to the fact that it looks and packaged nicer than a server PS but when considering size shipping etc. I decided that I should definitely be able to do better so I bought a 2 57Amp 700W Dell Server power supplies from ebay (~$35 Shipped both...).
The conversion is quite easy - just add a jumper to enable the PS, another to bump the output voltage a bit and one more connection if you want to make it quieter and reduce the fan speed.
- The easiest would be to add a switch that will control the fan speed but I decided to add an LM34 that automatically controls the fan speed (nothing else needed).
The end result is quite nice for about ~$25 per power supply I got a 57Amp unit that easily handles two 10Amp chargers.
The only limiting factor is the output voltage that can not be bumped up too much so as can bee seen in the photo attached charging a 6S pack at 10Amp required 20Amp input current to the charger.
- The clamp is on the AC current going into the PS, Mike to your point over the weekend it only draws 5.5Amps when charging 2 batteries at 10Amp - Not too bad.

Bobby

Eric Adventurer

That great Bobby!
Thank you for the instructions and photos.
Eric