Rebuild P 51 Mustang from Crashed Components

Started by bweaver, February 06, 2017, 03:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

I finally made it out to the garage and took down from the rafters a wing and bits and pieces of an E-flite P 51 Mustang that I intend to resurrect.

This aircraft succumbed to its current state by trying to fly it in the same airspace as another aircraft at the same time.  (It doesn't work no matter how many times you try to do it.)

Similar to Micheal's current project,  I am also starting off with a wing.  However I have a few additional bits and pieces that I plan on using in the reconstruction. http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6057.0.html

I have had to make some minor repairs and touch ups to the wing.

So here is were I'm at now...

BJROB

Wow Bruce
you do have a project.
looking forward to seeing the magic happen
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

Cut out the fuselage sides and attached the tail.

Next step will be lowering the Cockpit windshield into the fuselage.

Then installing the motor mount and making the battery compartment and hatch cover.

bweaver

The fuselage was cut down in the area of the cockpit for proper placement of the canopy (pictures 1 and 2) The canopy will now act as the template for fuselage shaping. 

The original rear portion of the aircraft will act as the template for fuselage shaping from there forward.

At Wednesday night's meeting Micheal's P 51 project was examined and discussed.  The subject of wing attachment and fuselage weakness was raised by Frank V.  Frank recommended the installation of the wing using screws to secure the front of the wing to the fuselage.  This practice would reduce the possibility of the fuselage breaking in the center wing saddle area as a result of 'nose overs'. (See picture 3 below) I found my wing had the original screw hold down feature still attached.  I will reincorporate this component into the fuselage for securing the wing to the fuselage.  The wing will then be removable.

Photo 4 illustrates minor modifications made to wing/fuselage saddle area for a proper fit.

At Wednesday's meeting there was also discussion about the what type of adhesives people were using on their foam construction projects.

In this build I am using a variety of adhesives.  Photo 5 below shows my experiment with Gorilla Glue.  One side of the tail surface is secured by attaching an overlapping piece of foam glued between the tail and the new foam board.  The other side technique uses Gorilla Glue only.  I think the use of Gorilla Glue alone will suffice.

5 minute epoxy and Kroeger Inc Foam Cure are being used for gluing other elements together.

bweaver

Completed the wing hold down features in the fuselage.  These include the rear plywood wing hold down dowel adapter (photo 1). (The plastic adapter from the original crashed P 51 must be in a landfill somewhere. NOTE TO SELF - save this part the next time.)

Also finished the adding the front wing hold down screw mechanism (photo 2) This component was saved and referred to previously.

Reinstalled the tail wheel and attached the pushrods for the rudder and tail wheel. (photo 3)

I have started to shape the fuselage starting at the rear from the canopy to rear original tail section. These made great templates for shaping purposes. I am using DuraGrit files for shaping the foam.  They are working great.  (Remaining photos)

Micheal, did you put any off set on your motor installation?

Next steps include, installing the firewall, finish gluing all the remaining parts of fuselage foam board as required, then shape the remainder of the fuselage.

Install the rudder/tailwheel and elevator servos and remainder of electronics in the fuselage.

Paint the fuselage, then cover with the plastic laminate.

Michael

Quote from: bweaver on February 14, 2017, 05:56:56 PM

Micheal, did you put any off set on your motor installation?

Just a touch of down.

Michael

bweaver

Thanks Micheal, I have done the same.

I am documenting the firewall/motor mount installation, because there were a few peculiarities that I had to make modifications for.  I thought some people might be interested in knowing how I did this, should they run into a similar situation with one of their future builds.

First my prop and spinner were done like dinner as a result of the crash.  Hence, I have made a 2 3/4 in. plywood temporary spinner template, so that I can proceed with the motor installation without waiting for a new spinner and prop to arrive (ordered from Pinnacle).

I took out my two sources of plywood - cheap grade (orange crate) used for reinforcing the fuselage sides and my hobby grade 1/8th ply used for the firewall. The installation of the firewall and 4 plywood reinforcing pieces were secured to the foam and to each other with Gorilla glue.

The original P 51 motor recovered from the crash has a peculiar motor mount arrangement.  The screws holding the motor mount to the rear of the motor protrude beyond the mount.(Refer to the photo) This required making a secondary plywood motor mount plate that will allow the motor to be mounted flush to the main firewall.  It will also reinforce the fire wall.

Holes were drilled through the firewall plywood pieces to allow for the rear motor bearing to move freely and for the wires from the motor to go to the ESC and also to act as an air inlet for cooling purposes.

Next, the blind nuts will be installed. Then the motor will be secured to the firewall. The remaining foam board covering will be installed and shaped for cowling purposes..  The plywood spinner template will assist as a guide for cowling shaping purposes.

bweaver

Installed the motor and ESC. 

Started shaping the remainder of the fuselage.

The plywood spinner template I had made could only help me so far with shaping the fuselage.  I borrowed John A's spinner and prop to proceed further.

Have to install and shape the air intake at the front under the prop.

Frank v B

Neat.  Looks great.

Just go for the 50:50 rule.  Don't spend any extra time on a model if you can't see the mistake at 50 feet and 50 km/hr.  It takes away from flying time. 
Also, ugly planes last longer. :D 
Corollary: attempting to approach perfection causes crashes 8).

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Frank you don't understand.  This was once a beautiful and great flying model, before it met its demise.  I considered it be one of my favorites. It looked great, it flew great.

Similar to Micheal I had a wing, I had a vision, I had a prayer and I wished to experiment using foam board in this manner to resurrect the aircraft to its former self. (I am also cheap and the American dollar is so high, rebuilding with new parts was out of the question.)

When finishing this aircraft, similar to Micheal, I am hoping to have a higher standard than the suggested 50/50 quality. 

I am striving for - 'flight line fly-by quality'.  Should I be informed at the field that the aircraft hasn't achieved this standard, I will personally blame it on the acuity of the individual's vision, not my modelling skills.

'Flight line fly-by quality'  here it comes..... or not.
;)

Frank v B

OK, Bruce,

re" Should I be informed at the field that the aircraft hasn't achieved this standard, I will personally blame it on the acuity of the individual's vision, not my modelling skills.

I hope to be there for the maiden and i will personally make sure that everyone removes their glasses so the score will automatically exceed the 50/50 rule. :D  Those of us who wear glasses will judge it with our white canes. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

Thank you for your consideration.  I would expect nothing less. ;D

bweaver

It's getting there.

BJROB

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

Finished, ready to fly.   :)