Warwing Kits - Pick-up Wednesday Evening at Build Class

Started by bweaver, September 26, 2019, 09:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

Very cool... won't be able to MISS this one  ;)

How did you get Jello to give up their colour formula?

GuyOReilly

Home Depot has a Paint Sample In-Store for $4.97 (plus taxes).
I brought a sample of the colour and they matched it perfectly.
It is latex and easy to clean (except on clothes...)
I do not plan on doing combat, just going to fly it for fun.

davidk

GuyOReilly

@davidk adding floats?!?
Sounds like an idea worth exploring.
What would be the weight gain?  I am a bit concerned about weight, after the holidays and all...
How heavy should the plane be? @Frank v B @bweaver

bweaver

@GuyOReilly

The warwing you have built looks fantastic.  It is too bad that you have a fatalistic attitude towards flying it in combat.  As a result of you having this attitude, I am going to punish you by giving you another Warwing Kit.  (This sanity about Warwings and fear of combat has to stop!)

Next points. 

(1) Don't worry about waiting to fly it in good weather.  Please understand that it is a Warwing... it can fly in any weather and fly well, unless of course it is David's Warwing, flown only by David.

(2) Don't worry about added weight.  It's a Warwing for crying out loud.  It flies better with a little more weight on it. Note: You can simply add weight by adding glue and reinforcing or by replacing pieces.  You can even repaint it where and when necessary. 

(3) With respect to your inquiry about how much it should weigh?  It's a Warwing... it doesn't matter how much it weighs and it is not polite to ask. If it is not heavy enough for you, add a drag inducing streamer to the tail.  It won't slow it down, but does attract attention.

(4) It is advisable to paint the bottom of the Warwing with a different colour than that of the top surface.  This will allow you to identify your Warwing from others in the sky regardless of its flight attitude in the sky. 

(5) Regarding this work thing you were referring to... You need a stress reliever.  Go fly your Warwing, with utter abandon.  ::)

(6) Further, why are you asking @Frank v B questions about a Warwing?  Frank has had difficulty building the Warwing kit he has... some excuse about not having enough room for it.  Frankly (pun intended) I think he is too busy putting sticks together to ever start building his Warwing Kit.  (It is not complicated enough for him.)  ;)

Frank v B

Bruce,

re: (6) Further, why are you asking @Frank v B questions about a Warwing?  Frank has had difficulty building the Warwing kit he has... some excuse about not having enough room for it.  Frankly (pun intended) I think he is too busy putting sticks together to ever start building his Warwing Kit.  (It is not complicated enough for him.)  ;)

Them's fighting words:
1) You know a WarWing is waayyy too difficult for me.
2) Just for that my next build blog is "how to make a badass Warwing".  It will be custom.  It will be mean.  I'm going to take flying lessons from Glenn. ;) :D
I have drawn a (moveable) line in the sand!!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzWyOaS8kU&frags=pl%2Cwn

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

@Frank v B

It's about time!  Building a 'badass Warwing' is only one step... 

Come to think of it, why would you ask Glenn ( @electroflyer ) how to fly a Warwing? Anybody can fly a Warwing and he is a prime example. 

He won't divulge any secrets. 

The challenge is ON!

bweaver

I just received a personal message indicating that my last post may offend Glenn.

Glenn ( @electroflyer ), trust me.  I would never inadvertently offend you by inappropriately commenting on your Warwing flying abilities or lack thereof. 

What I really meant by my last post was suggesting to Frank that he should "never mistake luck for skill".   I think Frank always reminds us to "Never trade luck for skill".  Same thing.

Sorry Glenn  :-X

davidk

Can't imagine that would offend Glenn  :)  He'd probably be one of the first to agree... and we all know all this stuff is all in good fun.  Have to say... he is damn good in a Warwing challenge.

No worries, Bruce.  Even if he was, it would only be evident in a Warwing challenge... so that would be cool.

@GuyOReilly , floats actually add a nice balance, ballast, to a Warwing... and improve my Warwing flying considerably.  Flying a Warwing off the snow is a hoot... and I can't imagine how much fun it will be on that liquid type snow.

GuyOReilly

@bweaver thank you for your comments and advice.
I will consider combat once I fly it a few times.
Yes,  it is simple to build and instructions are clear. 
Perhaps even @Frank v B could attempt constructing one, unless..... he is afraid of crossing that line...
I might go to Lowes next month and buy a 4X8 of blue foam... more insulation in the basement needed  ;)
I will consider floats as mentioned, it will add to stability with weight below the wing.
As concern with weight does not seem to be an issue, I will add armement...
See you guys tomorrow.

GuyOReilly

@bweaver  My Warwing is ready to fly, as soon as I find some free time...  ;D
I added a center float, and rudder, should be good for snow. ;)
As for armement, I added a bomb drop set-up, look at the video. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPsNhQvSFJg&feature=youtu.be

davidk

Guy, you have to make that video Public or Unlisted.  Right now it's Private.
Change it 'cause I wanna see your WarWing!

GuyOReilly

Good morning @davidk
You should be able to view it now.
The publication was set for midnight.
Guy

davidk

Fantastic, Guy... can't wait to see it fly.  I take it that it's not going to be entered in any combat  ;)

What's the "float" made of.  Seems more like a ski.  Pretty cool.

And the "pom pom bomb" drop is excellent.

Will it fly off water?

GuyOReilly

@davidk  No combat for that one... I will build another with the same colour scheme for combat.
The float is made of foam, sheeted with 1/16 balsa and covered in Monokote.
I made that float some 12-15 years ago, but only found a use for it now.
This should fly off water....  :o
It is HEAVY!!! 2pound 4 ounces.  :-X