quadcopter commerical uses

Started by homemoviesdotca, October 12, 2013, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homemoviesdotca

Anybody using quadcopters for commercial uses ?

I'd like to pick your brains, please.

steve

bfeist

I have a quadcopter and I've used it a few times to shoot some footage, but commercial usage is a long way from that (fraught with safety, permit, and liability issues).

Here's some of the footage I shot I while back. Happy to answer any questions.
https://vimeo.com/16600800

homemoviesdotca

I appreciate the offer to answer questions, but, and I apologize for the 1st, and probably last question,

since you don't use it for commercial purposes, I can't pick your brains about doing so, therefore

why ask you any questions ?

curious.....

steve

piker

What a strange couple of posts.  What specifically are you looking for...

Curious....

Robert
TEMAC member

Ededge2002

I farted. Think it smelled?

Curious ...
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bfeist on October 12, 2013, 01:19:36 PM
I have a quadcopter and I've used it a few times to shoot some footage, but commercial usage is a long way from that (fraught with safety, permit, and liability issues).

Here's some of the footage I shot I while back. Happy to answer any questions.
https://vimeo.com/16600800

This is impressive.  You flew with a good eye to the video.  Nice slow, non nausea-inducing pans and vertical transitions.  I also really like the music score.  Easy to listen to and very appropriate for the video subject matter and presentation.  (I must say I have had a belly full of the hard rock garbage that almost every one feels compelled to use on their RC videos.  Good classical stuff goes so well with the graceful moves of flight, including aerobatic.)  Way to go Ben.

homemoviesdotca

Quote from: piker on October 13, 2013, 10:16:19 PM
What a strange couple of posts.  What specifically are you looking for...

Curious....

Robert
TEMAC member

1st - ben - Finally watched your flight video Ben, very nice. Actually the opening takeoff content flies over some houses, that's one of many uses I would like to get into. Real Estate flyover shots.

2nd:

Specifically Robert ? I really thought my original inquiry was clear.

I wanna pick somebody's brains who knows all about using quads commercially,

to make money obviously, which means getting licenced I would assume, and learning how to fly a quad (probably a good idea), and those pesky SFOCs from Transport Canada one has to file for every job - what a pain.

I've been trying to get info from TC via email, but, that is proving as expected to be a very tedious long term method of getting info.

So far I've also been very disappointed with trying to ask questions of ajhobbies and canadadrones. They both blew me off totally.

If anybody has figured out my user name is my website address and visited it, you'd of seen already what I've been doing for the past 11 years. That work has dried up a lot over the past few years, still getting some but not enough, and I'm really hoping I can figure out how to make money with quads.

steve
www.homemovies.ca

Papa

Suggest you contact Zoltan at this link.

http://www.maac.ca/committees/maac_committee.php?cm=40

He will be a great place to start.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Quote from: homemoviesdotca on October 19, 2013, 09:18:16 PM

Specifically Robert ? I really thought my original inquiry was clear.

So far I've also been very disappointed with trying to ask questions of ajhobbies and canadadrones. They both blew me off totally.

steve
www.homemovies.ca

Yes, Steve, you're original inquiry was clear and one of the few guys in our club who has any real experience with what you're looking for offered very graciously to help you out.  It was your response that lead to my comment and question.  Anyway, good luck.

Robert

homemoviesdotca

Quote from: Papa on October 19, 2013, 09:58:29 PM
Suggest you contact Zoltan at this link.

http://www.maac.ca/committees/maac_committee.php?cm=40

He will be a great place to start.

Jack.

Thank you. Will try zoltan.

sorry about my response being interpreted as insultingly snarky - i was actually trying to be facetiously snarky   ::) - treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant

like cab driver saying he doesn't know anything about heart surgery, but, glad to answer questions about heart surgery because he once read a pamphlet about how to deliver a baby --

get it ?

uh - how else would anyone else respond to that offer ?

steve

piker

That's right, Ben.  Stop thinking you know stuff and go back to playing with your toys.  THIS is serious business!

Yep.  I get it.

homemoviesdotca

I sent an email to Zoltan, but, he must be a very busy guy, no response yet.

btw - that SFOC application doc from Transport Canada, for a Special Flight Operations Certificate - holy crapoly !

every paid-for flight has to have one, even if all you get is one free drink for your efforts.   :P :o

IT'S A MONSTER doc. It's 74 pages long ! Applies to every type of UAV from a micro-flying bee to those huge American Drones killing all those alleged terrorists, and the collateral damage victims, like funeral attendees, school kids and hospital patients.

Including to fly a puny little quadcopter over a house for a real estate video too. It's like that boaters' permit they started a few years ago, only worse, having to apply for and have approval for every time you want to putt-putt your 2-person blowup dinghy with a 1.2 volt electric trolling motor in Duffins Marsh, which is only a few inches deep at high water time in the spring.

The U.N. aught to require filing one of these Transport Canada SFOC suckers for every U.S. Killer-drone mission. By the time they fill out the application, and wait for their certificate - the original reason for the mission would be ancient history, their targets would all have grown old and died before they even get the certificate to fly  ;D

steve

Papa

Dear Steve,

While we like to be all encompassing on the forum it is for the members of TEMAC who enjoy the hobby. You are straying over into the commercial side with which none of us have any interest or expertise. I would suggest you look for a forum that is more geared to your interests.

Jack Higgins
Board Member.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

homemoviesdotca

Quote from: Papa on October 22, 2013, 04:00:10 PM
Dear Steve,

While we like to be all encompassing on the forum it is for the members of TEMAC who enjoy the hobby. You are straying over into the commercial side with which none of us have any interest or expertise. I would suggest you look for a forum that is more geared to your interests.

Jack Higgins
Board Member.

Excellent suggestion Jack.

bye all

bfeist