Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Hi Imran

No class tonight, last week was the final class until Fall.

We missed you last week.

Papa

Hi Imran, You will need to complete the Lower Wing and also the Upper wing by Fall.

Since you missed Frank and I can meet with you if you need further help.

Let me know.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Papa

Well it's getting close to the end of the Summer Flying season and time to start thinking of building again. Once again the location will be Col. Mustard's on Hwy 7 just west of 9th Line. Food at 6:00pm for 7:00pm start to the class. First class will be Monday October 6. You should have completed your upper wing so bring it along to the meeting. Frank will start construction of the fuselage.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

I'm afraid I'm going to miss the first class. Sorry.

sihinch

Also, since this is a build class, please can we have a lesson in sheeting the wings? We never got that far last year and I've never done it before.

How do you get the balsa to stay on the formers? Which way should the grain go? How do you make the radius in the fillet for sheeting.

Perhaps we can do a wing refreshers.

Papa

I thought we had all built the bottom wing?

Let me know how many have not built a wing yet besides Simon and Imran?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

In class we did ribs, spars, leading and trailing edges.

We've not really talked about or seen how to do sheeting and then there's the wing tips too.

Servo mounting and bracing should be OK.

This is a first time kit build for me and I'm sure some others. I'm not confident I know what to do for some aspects that may seem natural to experienced builders.

Papa

No problem. We will start with the lower wing. Then do the upper wing before going on to the fuselage.

OK everyone?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

I agree with Simon.  We kinda did say...

Put down a spar
Glue on the ribs
Add trailing edge
finish both wings so we can start the fuselage   ;D

sihinch

I need some help please.

The aluminium L shaped brackets that are meant for the upper wing strut mounting. How do they glue in the wing?

The 2 ribs have slight cut-outs on the top, which I could glue the aluminium L into but then there would be no room above to sandwich some wood above it.

Any help please?

The L bracket is not really as per plan as far as I can tell.

sihinch

@Papa or @Michael or @piker or @Frank v B [size=78%]Would love some help please.[/size]

Papa

Here's a picture of how the designer did it. Glue a piece of ply on the bottom of the wing and when it's dry cut it so the aluminum lug goes through. make sure it's the right way up or down as the case may be. Use epoxy on all the gluing. I glued another piece of ply over the bottom of the lug to seal it in.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

It seems strange to me from what I recall.  I think at least the ply piece has to be wider so the slot doesn't just cut it in half.  That way there's ply on one side and spar on the other... if I'm picturing it properly.  I haven't looked at it since last winter.

I'm not using that technique.  I'll put the ply plates in, then drill a hole to accept a screw, then the Al angled piece will be attached to the strut end.  Then for assembly the strut gets screwed to the wing directly.

Michael

It is a poorly designed attachment, however, I built it as per the plans, but then glued another piece of plywood across the aluminum and plywood on the inside of the wing between the ribs, sandwiching a liberal amount of thick CA, and then spraying the whole thing with accelerator. It seems strong enough to hold everything in place.

Robert's idea is better, but a small wood screw in plywood is only going to be marginally stronger.

Michael

piker

I was in a hurry when I typed that, so was not very descriptive... plus we have to keep it short for Simon.

I'll probably use captive nuts with bolts.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I don't think the interplane strut are functional.  They don't have to be that strong.