2014-5 TEMAC Tickler, More Winter Flying

Started by Papa, February 02, 2014, 05:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

It always amazes me how rusty the skills get in winter. I flew 3 planes over the last 2 days - 1 is a write-off, 1 has a motor hanging lose and the other 1 survived!

It was great to catch up with people today - Ken, Michael, Greg C, Bill and yes, Andy did show!

Off to repair some planes....

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on February 02, 2014, 06:08:01 PM
It always amazes me how rusty the skills get in winter. I flew 3 planes over the last 2 days - 1 is a write-off, 1 has a motor hanging lose and the other 1 survived!

It was great to catch up with people today - Ken, Michael, Greg C, Bill and yes, Andy did show!

Off to repair some planes....

Yes!  We (Andy and Bill) were there from 2:00 till 4:30!!  Got there just in time to ogle Simon's gorgeous Slipstream and offer condolences on his Nooner.  (Personally I think the Nooner was pouting about the new racing kid in Simon's stable and did itself in out of spite!!  :D)

Ken and Simon left just after I arrived, muttering some nonsensical stuff about it being cold ????   Maybe it was something I said !!  :D

Fabulous day!  Gorgeous deep snow.  Driveway definitely not navigable, so good opportunity for exercise, slogging through from the highway to the field!!  Real winter!  LOVE IT!!

Andy

Michael

Definitely fun!

Simon and I agreed to go flying at TEMAC this afternoon, and Ken Ross arrived moments after we got there. The snow was piled high, and we had to carry our models and gear in, which was tough, but once we got there, we started flying. As far as I was concerned, once I was flying, the adrenaline cancelled out the cold and I had a great time. I flew my Multiplex Twinstar on floats gently off the soft snow, did several circuits, a touch-and-go, and then a super smooth landing. I also flew my Parkzone Icon through a similar flight. Simon flew his Nooner superbly, but it unfortunately went down hard in the snow. He also flew a Flyzone Hadron, a fast pusher type delta, and was soon doing super-fast low passes, rolls and impressive vertical climbs, and then a nice landing in the snow. Ken twice flew a pusher-prop jet-type depron Mig, which flew slow and fast, and he was able to bring it in slowly and nose-up, for a close and gentle landing.
Michael

sihinch

Great photos Michael that capture the day.

It was great fun. Thanks for your company.

Worst thing about my Nooner crash - I bent the motor shaft and blew the ESC.

Ededge2002

Quote from: sihinch on February 02, 2014, 09:16:29 PM
Worst thing about my Nooner crash - I bent the motor shaft and blew the ESC.

How did the esc blow? Seems strange that it would blow up.  Sorry about your luck Simon.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

I think the ESC got "crunched" between the battery and motor, which seems to have bent the board.  See pics.

When I tried the ESC last night, testing some servos, it worked for the first session but when I tried it again, it fed no power to the Rx and started to get hot.

It means I may not have a spare one to sell now, Robert!  :-[

sihinch

Here is what's left of my Nooner ....... :'(

Maybe look for a repair thread?  ;)

piker

;D  I was going to ask about that.  But we had a deal!!!

Just kidding.  No problem.   :)

Sorry about your crash, but you DO have lots of spare racers...

piker

Oh heck!  Most of the Nooners out there (including mine) looked worse than that part way through last race season.  Repair for sure... unless you have too many race planes now anyway...  ;D

Papa

On the bright side it was not the Slipstream.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

True, Jack!  My plan was to practice with the Nooner, then maiden the Vixen and then the Slipstream.  After my disaster with the Nooner, the other 2 stayed in the car!  ;)

And Robert, you can never have too many race planes!  ;D

I am always torn between flying lots with the actual plane I plan to race (to get really used to it) vs. risk damage and crashing and therefore not getting to the start line.  That's why I like to have multiple planes as spares!

Frank v B

Simon,

FvB's repair shop is open for business for your Nooner.

Frank

ps: I would rather beat you in a race than have you not start. ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 03, 2014, 08:28:16 PM
Simon,

FvB's repair shop is open for business for your Nooner.

Frank

ps: I would rather beat you in a race than have you not start. ;D

Simon, this is a great offer!  Frank does fabulous fuse repairs with paddled lead that should give your Nooner a new lease on life and extra penetration, in the air or in the ground!  You should definitely take him up on it!! ;D

Andy

sihinch

Remember I'm on your team, Andy!

I start the fuse repair last night but I may accept Frank's generous offer for help with the wing.