2014-34 TEMAC Tickler, Kingston Fun Fly!

Started by Papa, June 29, 2014, 01:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Andy Hoffer

I really like Colin's CL-415 colour-scheme matched hat and runners.  Very suave.

Looks absolutely great on the pond Colin !

Andy

dangaras

Amazing! What were the awards for? Have always wanted to attend but something was always planned that conflicted. Maybe 2015..

Are there more pictures???.

Michael

I was too busy having fun to take more photos.

A contingent of 5 TEMAC members attended the 1014 Kingston Electric Fun Fly. Robert Pike, Ben Feist and I came a day early, Friday, to set up and have a few flights at the field. We were joined on Saturday by Glenn Nikolaiko and Colin Moses, and by old friend Allan Biggerstaff. Robert, Glenn and I flew our 1/4 scale biplanes together, putting on a nice show. As the flying wound down in the later afternoon, prizes were awarded, 6 of 7 prizes going to TEMAC members! This was followed by a short drive to a cottage of a Kingston club member, where we had a couple hours of float flying. It was so hot that Glenn and Allan jumped in the water for a swim. Afterward, we all went out, with the Martin Irvine, host of the event, and with his wife Maggie, to Boston Pizza for a supper, and then back to a motel where a few were staying, for a few more hours of talking and drinking beer. The funfly continued on Sunday.

Saturday Awards (according to my memory)

Best biplane to Robert for his SE5A
Best scale to Robert for his SE5A
Best original design to Robert for his (1997!) Waterbomber
Contest Director's  choice to Ben for his incredible aggressive glider (forgot the name)
Best painted finish to me for my DC3
Pilot's Choice to me for my DC3
Michael

gmcnic

Really really fantastic ;D
Congratulations to all, you guys Rock!!

Frank v B

Glad to see so many from TEMAC continue to attend.  Martin is a great modeller and a great guy. 

With 6 out of 7 awards, it is proof that TEMAC is not just a group of average modelllers. 

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Way to go TEMAC. Hope you all had a fab time.

Ededge2002

Yes guys great job doing the tough and terrible task of having a good time flying your planes with friends.  One of the reasons I enjoyed temac so much was because of the quality and variety of the models and pilots.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Quote from: Michael on June 29, 2014, 03:18:45 PM

As the flying wound down in the later afternoon, prizes were awarded, 6 of 7 prizes going to TEMAC members!

Make that 7 of 8   ;D   I got CD's Choice today for my Sparrow Hawk.  I guess I put on a good display flight with it.

Papa

Geesh How come you missed the other one?

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Oscar

piker

The other one was for "Best Fun Cub Paint Job".  The Kingston Club had a fun contest over the past year based on that theme   :)

Really though, what Michael didn't mention is that it would have been a very different story if Martin wasn't the Contest Director, choosing the award recipients.  Martin had his fantastic, 1/4 scale, Nieuport 17 out at the event, and it would have taken some of the awards if it was able to be in the running.  Certainly "Best Biplane" and probably "Best Scale"

The Kingston Electric Fun Fly was a BLAST!  The weather was perfect, except for the cross wind, which didn't cause TOO much trouble.  We enjoyed a casual early start on Friday, a busy day of flying and chatting on Saturday, a short but very nice float fly on Saturday evening, then a nice, more casual day of flying on Sunday.

There were very few crashes over the weekend, other than the odd rough landing, but Colin had a very unfortunate fly away on Sunday with his new hot liner, during the test flight.  It went so far and fast into the thick brush that there was very little chance of finding it.  I know Colin, Ben, and a couple of great guys from the Kingston club, Brian and Mike, searched for a long time without success.

As usual, Martin and the gang from the Kingston Club put on a great event that welcomed guests from Guelph, to Niagara Fall, to Syracuse, and everywhere in between.  They have a fantastic field and club house (with power) and they provide an awesome breakfast and lunch on both days!

Next year is the 20th anniversary of the Kingston Electric Fun Fly.  I hope MANY of the TEMAC supporters can make the road trip to the event next years.  It really is a lot of fun to get away for a weekend of flying and good times, and it's fun and exciting to fly at a different field with different people.