Wingnutz's Revolver 70

Started by bfeist, October 20, 2012, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfeist

Quote from: Wingnutz on October 19, 2012, 07:27:32 AM
Ben,
Like the others, I'm really enjoying the website...thanks!
I too am curious about what others are building, so here's part of my build list;
Ready to maiden if the!@#$%^ing wind ever stops;
1.  GP Revolver 70 with electric power...any tips Ben?
2. Haoye CT-114 Tutor version 2
On the bench;
1. Scratch built Cessna Bobcat...aka Crane 1A in Canada...aka Songbird on Sky King...aka Bamboo Bomber...aka T-50(I think)by US military
There are a couple still in boxes and one still at the post office (is this a legitimate category?) but I haven't worked on them yet.
So many toys...so little time!
Bill

Revolver 70 tips:
It's flies anywhere you point it and is very forgiving. Neutral trim was perfect. Before flying mine I noticed a lot of comments in RCgroups about the landing gear getting ripped out on a hard landing so I did the mod outlined in post #38 here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165154&page=3  and have never had a problem. I haven't had any hard landings yet though.

Landing tip: If you bring it in for landing with a slight nose-up attitude like you would a warbird, it wants to float and you'll bounce back into the air a few times before it settles. This might cause you to run out of runway if you float too far across the field before initial touchdown. You really have to slow it right down with a lot of nose up on landing to make the landing stick. Try to picture touching the tailwheel first, which for me felt unsettling at first--I thought I was going to stall for sure. Obviously you'll want to practice this at altitude. Get a real feel for how slow it can fly and what the indications of an impending stall look like. It's remarkable how slowly this big bird can fly. If you perfect the three point landing--all three wheels touching at the same time, your landings will be perfect.

For power system I'm runing the rimfire 80 on 6 5000mah cells on a 15x8 and ICE 75 ESC. I ran on two 3s 3700s in series as well but I'm trying to learn IMAC aerobatics and actually liked the way it tracked better with a heavier battery. Actually, if you're looking for two 3s 3700s packs as they recommend let me know and I'll give you a great deal on mine, they're just sitting here. This winter I'm going to switch the power system to a Rimfire 1.20, 17x8 (or 16x10), ICE 100, 5000mah 6s for more effortless vertical just because I feel like experimenting.

Best of luck on the maiden!

Wingnutz

Ben,
Thanks for all the tips! I've watched you fly your Revolver several times at TEMAC and you inspired me to electrify the model rather than put an IC motor in it. The model was a 2009 Christmas present from my wife, so it's been waiting for a while...it was worth the wait!
Maidened yesterday in 10 -20 km wind from the east.
Plane handled the wind really well(this is my first model in this weight range)...a couple of clicks of down and flying hand off except for gusts.
Just flew around for the first flight and angled the model for the landing...still at 45deg to wind. Small bounce as the pilot figure hadn't read your tips about landing.
Running; Rimfire 80, ICE 100, APCe 15x7, 2x4500 3s
Can't wait to get it back in the air when it's less windy!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!