Removing vinyl letters from ultracote...can this be done?

Started by Wingnutz, January 10, 2017, 04:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Googling hasn't provided a really satisfactory answer to this, so wondering if any of you knowledgeable types can help.
The model is an eFlite Super Cub ARF, so I'm assuming it's ultracote? Monokote maybe? I'm guessing the removal procedure would be the same?
I want to remove the American registration letters and replace with Canadian. (Surprise!) ;D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

octagon

Hi Bill. I removed the American registration from my Eflite Beaver 25. What I did was use a momocote gun with the "choke" on the back turned so it blocked most of the airflow, giving a more gentle, relatively cooler  airflow. I passed it over and over and was able to get hold of a corner. From there I just kept teasing it and pulling it (sounds bad eh?) and was able to get it off that way. I cleaned up the residual  glue with either lighter fluid or acetone and after it was done, you could not tell it had ever been there. Good luck!
What could possibly go wrong?

Wingnutz

Thanks Rob. I was worried about heat causing the covering to stretch unevenly and decided I'd try the direct approach...try to lift them off, no heat, no solvent.
It worked.
Working where the letter/number crossed a longeron, I eased the tip of my Olfa black blade under the vinyl character (careful not to cut the covering) and lifted. Once enough was free to grab I used my fingers and pulled. About five minutes per side.
Now, Goof Off to remove the adhesive residue and a new Canadian set ordered from Callie. :)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?