GWS floats

Started by sihinch, August 19, 2012, 01:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

OK, so the float bug has bitten!

I have some GWS floats, and am going to find a suitable airplane to mount them on.  But they come with no rudder.  To the experienced float fliers out there.....

How to you control a plane, in the water, if there is no water rudder?

Is there a really simple way to add a water rudder?

Thanks,
Simon

thehaze

My guess is that you could extend something from the rudder down into the water. Sort of like a tail gear assembly, just longer and with a blade on it instead of a wheel.

or get a twin, and setup some thrust differential and mix it into the rudder channel.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

bfeist

Most light planes don't need a water rudder, the air rudder redirects the prop wash and that's enough. My 4S SuperCub doesn't have a water rudder and it's fine. Plus, the weeds at Frenchman's Bay are super thick and you'll wind up snagging them with a water rudder.

Ben

thehaze

However, a fire suppression system is a must?  ;D
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

piker

All of the sugestions above are valid   :)

However, I agree with Ben.  Keep it simple and don't worry about a floatr rudder for now.  The smaller, lighter planes (the type that would use GWS floats) can usually get away with no rudder.  You can add one later is you feel it's necessary.

I haven't owned a ton of planes with floats (maybe 5 or 6) but of the planes I have, the Decathalon is the first with a rudder.  I've been flying the Cub for years with no water rudder.

Robert

bfeist

Quote from: thehaze on August 19, 2012, 10:50:45 PM
However, a fire suppression system is a must?  ;D

Har har. Yes, the fire suppression system is called "the lake"; ask Rob.

Ben