Phase 3 F-16 EDF

Started by thehaze, August 28, 2012, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

Well after the demise of the late, and far from great F-20 Tigershark, I happened upon a thread on RC groups where someone took the guts from the same plane and transplanted it into the F-16. After a little research I found that this little bird has quite the following, with hundreds and hundreds of posts on how to modify and fly this model. The common theme was that built correctly, the F-16 is a very stable platform, capable of pretty much everything the Tigershark was not capable of doing.

The bare bones Phase 3 F-16 kit, no motor or esc, comes with instructions for both a 3 cell and 4 cell build. Since I'm using the Electrifly hyperflow 55mm EDF system with an ammo 24-35-3790 motor. I'm going 4 cells. This ran really well on a 4s 2200mah pack in the F20 (actually it was the best thing about the plane) using the supplied 45A Silver Series ESC. I'm estimating a top end speed around 85mph on this build.

There are a number of extra steps required to make the F-16 ready for 4s operation. Most of them involve reinforcing the tail booms as this plane uses elevons rather than a traditional elevator and aileron configuration. I'll detail those steps as I progress through the build.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

thehaze

Ok so here goes... The kit is made of foam. I laid out all the parts and checked them against the manual. Good news, everything is there.

The hyperflow fan unit is 55mm. The ducting is built to accept a 70mm fan. However, as I learned from RCgroups, Adding the nacelle flange housing to the Hyperflow makes it a perfect 70mm. Too bad my Tigershark didn't come with one..  :( Lucky for me Greg's Evader did. One quick email and my problem was solved. Everything fits perfectly.

The kit came with some clear plastic film in order to make the thrust tube. It is also cut so the exit hole diameter is slightly smaller than the part that attaches to the fan. Apparently, this helps improve thrust. I'm inclined to believe them.

thehaze

Today I also applied the supplied reinforcement decals to the wings and the lower duct. I'll also need to install some on the elevons, but that comes later, after the linkages are installed.

I'm not a huge fan of the decal set for this plane. So I'm going to customize the look a bit. I've decided to paint the wings, tail and lower duct red. That should help with visibility in the air. I also painted the clear canopy with a smoke tint to add to the look. I'm using Testors Spray enamel, it's worked on this type of foam before so I'm confident that things will turn out nicely.

The parts are painted, and drying. Once they dry, I'll add another coat.

sihinch

I have this same model in a box, ready to build!  I'm really looking forward to what you learn in the process.

I got the one with the 70mm fan and ESC, for 3S.

I also ordered some parts from Morgan Mill Manufacturing, to make it more scale and stronger.
http://morganmill.com/RC/Phase3-EF-16_Parts.html

But as a I said, it's still in the box, int he build queue!  :-[

sihinch

thehaze

Some of the morgan mill stuff looks useful. But first I want to make sure this plane can fly before I invest more into it.

The threads on RCG have been really informative.

I think the only really tricky part is going to be the tail boom mod. I need to make some parts out of ply (template included in the kit) and embed them in the foam.

Michael

I had one of these a few years ago; it's a fantastic little jet! Easy to hand launch.

You do need to strengthen the elevator pivot/linkage area, and you must use decals or paint the plane; it's really hard to see/fly if all white.

I flew it stock on a 3-cell 2100mah battery pack, and had to launch it twisted because of the torque at launch.

Once up on step/speed, it's a solid and stable flyer.

Slows nicely for a smooth landing.
Michael

thehaze

The paint is dry and I'm happy with the results.

Started working on the elevons today. Glued in the control rods and the foam covers.

I'm going to stencil the patterns for the tail reinforcements onto the ply today and cut them. The instructions call for 1/16" ply, which is fairly thick so I think I use my dremel to cut them out from the sheet.

sihinch

Fancy making 2 sets of reinforcements, Mike???  ;D ;)

There's cookies in it! Lot's of cookies!

S

thehaze

You had me at cookies....  :P

If I manage to cut a set of these, without a) slicing off a part of my anatomy, or b) using an entire store's supply of light ply. I will make you a set as well.

thehaze

Made some more progress on the F16 today.

Installed the ESC, Fan Unit and Servos. Had to do some foam surgery to get the servos to fit and had to open up a channel under the EDF unit to route the wires. The instructions recommend that if you're going with 4 cells the EDF should be much farther back therefore the molded slot is way to far forward.

bfeist

Shouldn't you be wearing workboots in your workshop? :P

thehaze

What can I say? I'm a bit of a risk taker...  ;D

thehaze

Big day today...

Went to Pinnacle and picked up some bits and pieces I needed for the build. Then I returned home and decided to tackle the ply cut outs for the elevon pylon reinforcements.

I made a couple of copies of the template on my computer and cut them out and traced them onto the ply. I gave my oldest child the phone, and after 30 mins of rehearsing the 911 call she might need to make, I put on my safety goggles (still no shoes) and dusted off my dremel.

There was a lot of noise, a massive amount of dust and a lot of sweat but I managed to cut the six pieces I need. (Simon, I'll do yours when I stop shaking)

Took them out to the "paint shop" and put the first coat of paint on them.

That's enough for today.

thehaze

Well It's done..

There were some issues, and I'll detail those later.

I might try to fly it today. If I do I'll do a report on that as well.

Here are some images.