check out the plane i am making from scratch

Started by imran1042, September 19, 2012, 10:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imran1042

I am making a plane from scratch using the rudder, elevator, motor, speed control, and servos from my brothers crashed plane but everything else i am making with foam that i bought a home depot. currently working on making the wing. only had to buy 2 servos(already had 2 so 4 in total), foam, push rods and glue. ;D

you can see how messy my room is from building this in the pics and all my plane stuff  ;D lol
Any day at the field is a good day :)

piker

Looks great!

I like to see innovation like that.  It reminds me of an airboat (powered by an electric motor and airplane prop with an air rudder) I made from a styrofoam cooler lid, when I was about 13.  You get great satisfaction out of coming up with cool stuff like that on your own.

I hope it flies well.

Robert

imran1042

Thanks, i hope it fly's to, i have worked so hard on it. i failed to make the fuselage 2 times so what you see in the picture is my 3rd fuselage and this one turned out good,  i have spent a lot of time on it.  ;D

Gregor77

That is great!  ;D

Looks good...

I would talk to Ken Colemen and he can help make sure it will fly.   Like most of us, we are still learning.

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

imran1042

Thanks  ;D , hoping to get the wing done today ....

Gregor77

When making the wing.. Make sure to have a brace (Carbon fiber that is 25% from the front of the wing, this gives you good support.)  Install the servos in the wing and make sure the pivot point on the horns is where the alerion flexes.  Depending on how the wing is attached.  You can put two sticks through the fuse and use elastic bands to hold it on.   Look online... there is lots of ways to do this.   Good luck!

imran1042

Ok thanks.. to put the wing on i am still deciding but i have 2 ideas, epoxy them on or attach wood to then end or the wing and the fuse and screw it on using a few screws. which way do you think is the best?

sihinch

I would put 2 wooden dowls through the fuselage, running from left to right; one at the front of the wing, one at the back.  Epoxy the wooden dowels in, and then use elastic bands going over the wing, between each dowel, to keep the wing on.  This way if (or when  ;)) you crash, the wing should not be too badly damaged.

S

imran1042

ok thanks Simon.
got the cutting a sanding on one wing done, check it out

Andy Hoffer

Hi Imran:

Further to Simon's suggestion, you might want to epoxy a thin plywood (1/8 inch thick) reinforcing plate to each side of the fuse, inside or outside, where each wing mounting dowel goes through the fuse.   This will spread the wing load beiung applied to the dowels across a larger area of the foam in the fuse to prevent the foam from being deformed or broken out by the wing load.

Great to see that you've taken on the challenge of building from scratch.  It is definitely a great learning experience and offers wonderful rewards!

Cheers!

Andy Hoffer

imran1042

Gregor77

imran1042

thanks  ;D Don't think i can bring it out tomorrow, going to work on it as much as i can to try to take it out tomorrow

Ededge2002

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?