Glue and gluing techniques.

Started by Papa, January 23, 2015, 05:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Having seen a number of gluing techniques in action at the build classes I thought I would share some thoughts with you.
There are two conditions guaranteed to make a poor glue joint, too much glue and too little glue. It does not take a lot of glue to make a good bond with balsa. I'm talking about Aliphatic glues or "wood glues". Pouring glue from a bottle will guarantee too much glue and you waste a lot wiping it off.

How do you get the "right" volume of glue on a joint. The old fashioned way. In the old days glues were made from rendered animal bones and had to be heated to keep them liquid. You couldn't spread a boiling hot glue with your finger so you used a brush. This in turn produced an even coating on the joint and allowed time for the glue to be absorbed into the pores of the wood.

It is my belief that you should always brush glue onto a joint, preferably on both sides, to allow for absorption into the wood before you bring them together. I use recycled pudding cups. I get a big supply following a visit from my grand kids.
I buy disposable brushes from Princess Auto in bags of 20. I try to wash the cups but if I forget, so what they're disposable.

The trick is to use just enough glue and what that is only comes with practice and experience.

That's my 2 cents for the day.

Jack.

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

bweaver

Jack when you described the history of glue development and how glue had to heated in order to be applied has given me a greater appreciation for your age.

Great information! 

Bruce

Michael

I think Jack should stick with what he knows.

He should adhere to what he's familiar with.

Jack bonds well with people, but he shouldn't affix any preconditions to those relationships.

Michael

Papa

Looks like Michael's been sniffing again!

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Papa

Bruce, my grandfather had his own cabinet making business and I can remember the smell of the glue pots on gas rings all over the shop. That would have been the late forties and early fifties. I must be old my hip hurts and my knee is wonky. So you must be right.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

pmackenzie

Quote from: bweaver on January 24, 2015, 02:37:49 PM
Jack when you described the history of glue development and how glue had to heated in order to be applied has given me a greater appreciation for your age.

Great information! 

Bruce

Pretty sure we had heated glue pots back in Junior High wood shop.
But perhaps I am getting old as well.   ;D

Pat MacKenzie

bweaver

In junior high in my wood shop time, glue came out from the bottle. 

Further, when my hip got really sore I just had it replaced, surgically without any glue (I think).

Bruce

pmackenzie

Quote from: bweaver on January 24, 2015, 10:20:20 PM
In junior high in my wood shop time, glue came out from the bottle. 

Further, when my hip got really sore I just had it replaced, surgically without any glue (I think).

Bruce

They do it both ways

http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/surgery-hip-replacement