Flight Instruction

Started by thehaze, May 21, 2013, 06:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Frank, check the "Classifieds" and go find a trainer (Foam), 4 Channel (Apprentice, Sensei, etc)... Instructors will be more kean on teaching you how to fly on something that is not a flying demon!

Bobmic

Quote from: Candu on May 29, 2013, 10:44:56 PM

The ESC is rated at 60A. It is possible I have a faulty ESC but there were no ESC incident after it flew a few of circuits this evening. The ESC and motor were too hot to the touch after landing. I haven't measure the actual full load current but I'll measure it in the shop when I have a chance.

If the motor and ESC are too hot to touch this is clearly a problem (this was after improving airflow over the ESC)?
First step will be to connect a watt meter and make sure you are within the motor and ESC spec. based on Greg's comments I am guessing you can easily prop it down - I don't know which prop you are using nor the weight of the model vs power but I am guessing that ~110 W/Lb should be enough for this plane. When you change props try to keep larger diameter over pitch as you don't need too much speed.
Although I have never flown this type of plane I tend to think that with proper setup it should be an easy flyer as it is used for FPV.

Bobby

Candu

Thanks guys for all your inputs. Here are more details:
- all up weight 1550g
- prop 10x4.5
- motor 1450kva
- full load current @12.1v is 47A.

Greg, I must say that was a nice landing but I'll pickup some disposable travel undewears from the dollar shop for next Wednesday. :)

Frank

sihinch

So it's going to be about 550 watts.

And 1550g is about 3.5 lbs.

So watts/lb is a little high but not outlandish.

Candu

Just looked up spec for the motor. Recommended prop is 8x4 for 4C lipo and 9x6 for 2C. So obviously my prop is oversized. Simon, you did mentioned that a couple of weeks ago.

Gregor77

I also suspect with the large prop, you are hammering the tail on the plane.  I found at 1/2 it became very uncontrollable.  But at 1/4 it seemed better.  But PLEASE find another plane!

thehaze

Prop it down and bring it to the field and we can test it.

I'll bring the Depends for Cadez...  ;)
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

I'd like to congratulate Tom Stilo, who was awarded his "Park Wings" on Wednesday.   :)

Tom can now fly a Park Flyer class of aircraft without an instructor (see definition below.)  Have fun Tom, and of course, be safe!

Park Flyer Class Model- An electric model of any construction whose weight does not exceed 2.5lbs (1.13kg) including flight battery. These models are also restricted to a maximum speed of 60mph (96kph).

thehaze

Flight instruction is scheduled to begin at 6 pm this evening.

The weather conditions should be suitable for flying.

Charge your batteries and bring some bug spray.

Gregor77

I should be there for around 5:30-6:00 pm.  The new PZ FW190 is out and I am really liking it... But with my recent purchase of the BF109 from H9, I am going to have to look the other way tonight. 

Frank did you get a normal plane yet?

Tom

Quote from: sihinch on May 31, 2013, 10:18:15 AM
I'd like to congratulate Tom Stilo, who was awarded his "Park Wings" on Wednesday.   :)

Tom can now fly a Park Flyer class of aircraft without an instructor (see definition below.)  Have fun Tom, and of course, be safe!

Park Flyer Class Model- An electric model of any construction whose weight does not exceed 2.5lbs (1.13kg) including flight battery. These models are also restricted to a maximum speed of 60mph (96kph).

Thanks for all your help Simon.  But I'm affraid your work is not done yet...i'll be back with a bigger, more powerful plane today and looking for more training.   :)
(Hope someone will have a buddy box)

Candu

Greg, yes I got a preowned Appentice  now. I'm also bring that demon with a 9"prop for testing  if you feel up to it.

Frank

Gregor77

Walmart was low on M size underwear...  :o  after the last flight...

Let's get the apperentice going and trimmed out for you.

thehaze

Looks like we are going to have some fun tonight!

New models, Greg soiling himself, good times...

sihinch

You're never a medium, Greg!