Look who started charging batteries outside.

Started by Frank v B, October 15, 2022, 09:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

After two lipo fires at home.  Trying to avoid strike 3 at all cost.
Sleeping in the garage would not be any fun.  ;D

Frank

ps: when a Lipo battery blows it becomes a little flame thrower. From what I witnessed from a 3S 1300 battery that blew the flame is about 6"long.  Keep a charging battery at least a few feet from anything flammable.
"Never trade luck for skill"

BJROB

Hey Frank... ;D
Since I started the flying fun ;) I've Heard about the fires in peoples houses... :(
So I've been charging my batteries outside... ;D
What I do is I run an extension cord to my old BBQ  :o cleaned it out  ::)
I set everything on a pice of flat flagstone that fits with the lid closed.  :-X
I made a divider with a couple of bricks, to separate the charger from the batteries  ::)
Set the BBQ away from the house to chargeing batteries  ;D
Checking regularly  :o
I've never had a fire.  :-[ But if I did I could always get another BBQ setup from my neighbors  ???
When they upgrade there's from off the curb  :P
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

GordPayne

Had a localized lipo fire just now.

In the workshop. 2s sub-800mAh blew up. Some smoke and smell. Cells out of the house.

Do we need to be concerned about the fumes?

I have the windows in the basement and a huge fan going but can smell upstairs and some smoke still downstairs.

Any wisdom anybody has is welcome.

Guess I'm the latest member of the TEMAC Inferno club.
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."

Frank v B

Gord,

Thank you for posting the accident and your phone call this evening.  It is a good thing that you did not have to use a fire extinguisher.  That powder gets everywhere and travels upstairs.  When we had to use the fire extinguisher in our first fire in the basement, we found powder everywhere on our 3rd floor!

The best thing is fresh air.  The firemen who helped us coached us that to get rid of smoke smell, boil coffee grounds in a pan filled with water on the stove top.

New technology like Ozium (available at Esso stores) and Fabreze attack smell at the molecular level.  These products attach to the odour molecule and drop it to the ground.

Hang in there. The sun will come up in the morning.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

GordPayne

Amazingly scented baking soda carpet freshener  does a great job of knocking down the smell.

I'll be charging outside from now on.
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."

msatin

Wow!
Glad to hear no one was hurt, and the damage wasn't bad
You never fail until you stop trying

davidk

Quote from: GordPayne on October 20, 2022, 06:21:47 PM
Had a localized lipo fire just now.

In the workshop. 2s sub-800mAh blew up. Some smoke and smell. Cells out of the house.

Do we need to be concerned about the fumes?

I have the windows in the basement and a huge fan going but can smell upstairs and some smoke still downstairs.

Any wisdom anybody has is welcome.

Guess I'm the latest member of the TEMAC Inferno club.

Why did the 2S blow up?  Usually there is a specific reason that can be traced to the fire.  In Frank's latest case it was an unknown, unchecked battery.  These batteries are relatively benign unless mishandled... then they are a nightmare.  It helps us all to know what caused the battery to fail.  I realize they can simply fail on their own, but they will give an indication that something is wrong.  A current charger will report cell charge.  Here's an example.  I have several batteries that have a loose balance connector on 1 cell... loose at the battery side.  When checking cell voltage I'll see one cell look out of balance because the that balance lead is loose... but it's not.  It's always less, never more, that the actual voltage.  While flying this isn't an issue.  However, when checking and then charging this could be a big problem.  Sometimes the charge will start and I'll see, for example, 3.84 for all cells except one where it reads 3.72.  I turn the battery to another side, the balance lead connection is now good, and the cell reads 3.84.  I'm always just a few feet away from a charging battery and check every 5 minutes or so.

Wingnutz

Fascinated by this thread as one the instructors at my other club (Kawartha Lakes, not TEMAC) recently destroyed the inside of his garage with a lipo fire. Charging battery left unattended, on a flammable surface...no lipo charging bag. (should have known better...nitro guy!)
In response, I've recently retired (leads cut off, submerged in a pail of brine, taken to local hazardous waste disposal depot) most of my older (I write the start service dates on them) lipos, even if they weren't puffed.

I store in ammo boxes. I charge on top of our washing machine, in a lipo bag, leave the laundry room door open and stay on the same floor. I recently installed a smoke detector close to my charging station. I'd be interested to hear what precautions TEMAC members are taking. (not yet ready to charge outside or steal the neighbour's barbecue)
But, in spite of the preceding precautions, I'm uneasy about a possible lipo fire because I'm really not sure which ones are safe to use, which are past their best before date, and which are ticking time bombs.
Recent reading leads me to believe that one of the best ways to measure lipo health is by measuring and keeping a running record of internal resistance (IR) in each cell...(my charger will measure IR but the readings are inconsistent and suspect...I've ordered a reputedly good IR meter)

anybody doing this already?

thoughts?

Any on topic response appreciated...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Wingnutz

Quote from: BJROB on October 18, 2022, 10:04:38 AM
Hey Frank... ;D
Since I started the flying fun ;) I've Heard about the fires in peoples houses... :(
So I've been charging my batteries outside... ;D
What I do is I run an extension cord to my old BBQ  :o cleaned it out  ::)
I set everything on a pice of flat flagstone that fits with the lid closed.  :-X
I made a divider with a couple of bricks, to separate the charger from the batteries  ::)
Set the BBQ away from the house to chargeing batteries  ;D
Checking regularly  :o
I've never had a fire.  :-[ But if I did I could always get another BBQ setup from my neighbors  ???
When they upgrade there's from off the curb  :P

Great idea BJ! How are the burgers?

msatin

I'm thinking of putting the batteries in a metal breadbox which will sit on a ceramic tile.
Thoughts?
You never fail until you stop trying

GuyOReilly

Quote from: msatin on November 03, 2022, 10:46:36 PM
I'm thinking of putting the batteries in a metal breadbox which will sit on a ceramic tile.
Thoughts?

Great idea, just add a slice or two of bread with the batteries and should a fire start, instant toasts for breakfast!!

westjet

In the winter do you keep the batteries in the house?

Wingnutz

I store them indoors all hear round. Before putting them into winter storage, I use my charger to get them down to storage voltage and put them in ammo boxes. Any that are older than five years automatically get the brine bucket treatment, as do any that are noticeably puffed.
Others?