New guy-need to race!

Started by cpaine, December 19, 2013, 09:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpaine

Hello All!!
My name is Cory Paine. I have met a couple of your members through some EF-1 practicing in Orangeville, and was briefly introduced to the Nooners (and I mean briefly! sorry Greg ;)
I also have been in contact with Jack Higgins, regarding your piker class racing and possible EF-1 racing. It sounds like you have a great, fun race circuit going there, and I have been tempted to build something to give it a try... I do have a speed 400 sliver that the wing is just undersized...165sq/in... I was thinking of extending the wing tips to meet the 180" rule for the piker class? not sure about the 10% chord rule... not sure how to interpret that..... ???.. not sure if I would have a "team" to enter either...but maybe in the future. Its only a 1.5 hour drive for me from Paris and would like to come out

It sounds like there are a few EF-1 in your club as well. I hope we can get a few more of them to come to Orangeville and get some racing going there....

I currently have a lil Toni, Misslynn (no.2... folded a wing on the first) and a scarlet screamer under the Christmas tree!! ;D.

Hope to meet you all one day!

Cory
maac #26951

Papa

Hi Cory, the 10% rule means that at any measurement point of maximum wing thickness it cannot be less than 10% of the chord at that point. For example a 5" chord would require a wing thickness of not less than 1/2".

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Very nice to meet you Cory.  We do have a great little series at the club and although I'm not at liberty to invite you im sure someone will chime in with some ideas.  The planes are fun, fast and the racing is a blast! 
The EF1 group is gaining and sparking some interest at the club.  They look to fly great and Ive tried to make it to Orangeville a couple of failed times due to previous obligations.   Welcome to the forum!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

cpaine

thank you Jack... that makes sence!
Ededge, Racing is a blast! I have noticed that your racing series has progresed form formosas to nooners and now "own design" or planes .. Vixens... slipso... all getting faster and faster. its exciting that the interest is growing. There Maybe some hope yet to see more pylon racing in other clubs as well.
Feeling re-energized! :)
maac #26951

sihinch

Welcome Cory - can't wait to race with you next year.  But you have to let me win!  ;D

Ededge2002

Just one correction of note. TEMAC never raced formosa's. That series was run by another now defunct organization. Heck we already know who won the season and its only been a few months since the final LOL!

The Nooners still qualify for the series as they were designed to fit the requirements we will still be using next season. Several people are developing there own racers built to fit the regulations.
The regulations are minimum 180sq" wing area including any occupied by the fuselage with a 10% airfoil. Weight limited to a minimum of 16oz running a Castle Creations 18 amp Thunderbird ESC. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

cpaine

Quote from: sihinch on December 20, 2013, 12:35:55 PM
Welcome Cory - can't wait to race with you next year.  But you have to let me win!  ;D

lol... I have not raced competivly for quite a bit... i need to knock the rust off...
you have a EF-1 Simon??
maac #26951

sihinch

I do! I bought one from Ken Fluney in October but I've not flown it yet.

Polecat

That's will I forget the carbon wing tube in the deal!!!

battlestu

Hey Cory... welcome to the madness :)

I've always wondered how a modified Q200 would compete in the race series.
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"