Florida Flying

Started by davidk, January 05, 2020, 12:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

Not quite flying yet... but close, I think.  My UMX Timber came in as well as a power supply I'll use to charge it's batteries.  I brought a 12V field charger with me, so I'll use the power supply to power that which will, in turn, charge batteries.  I also brought 1 2200mAh battery to charge at the field if needed.

I needed a power supply for a couple of other 12V tools at home, so this Spektrum power supply will do the job.  I'm hoping I have a bit more luck than Richard did with some of his Spektrum stuff.  These types of power supplies are hard to find in Canada but available here in the US and not expensive.

I think I've found a flying club about 5 miles away.  I'll head out there later this week.

It was hot for the first couple of days and then an excellent storm rolled through.  https://youtu.be/U3ndsN_71Ss

Frank v B

Nice pool.  Nice water for an RC sailboat.

...but you can't skate on your pool....ever! ;D ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Oscar

So envy.  Enjoy your time in Florida.  :D

msatin

Just remember that 1mm of rain is the equivalent of approx 26cm of Snow.
I'll take the rain
Enjoy your time there Dave!
You never fail until you stop trying

bweaver

Glad to see you are managing down there. 

We are up here too.  You are missing some new fresh snow that is falling now.  Maybe 10cm overnight. 

When it's calm I'll be out and provide you with a few pictures so that you can shiver with excitement from the experience...

Have fun!  ;)

Georgetsigaridis

Ah Florida, the pool, the weather.  Brings back great memories. My experience was the rain came at 4 pm daily. If you fly in the morning you should avoid the weather. Enjoy😎

davidk

Quote from: Georgetsigaridis on January 10, 2020, 01:13:51 PM
Ah Florida, the pool, the weather.  Brings back great memories. My experience was the rain came at 4 pm daily. If you fly in the morning you should avoid the weather. Enjoy😎

That must have been in the summer, George.  I've here about 15 times in August and, as you say, a storm blew in every afternoon and blew out again 30 minutes later.  It was always like the heat and clouds couldn't take it any more and just had to let go.  It's quite different in the winter and over many years I've never seen that happen.  Storms do roll in, but just like they do at home, and they stick for a while.

davidk

I think I've found TEMAC's southern twin club at the Osceola Flying Club.  What a nice bunch of guys... inviting... helpful... friendly mocking... it's just like being home  :D

The club is about 5 miles away and a short drive.  Lyft got me there in no time.  No flying for me today with winds at about 15-20mph.  The little UMX Timber couldn't take it.  It's going to be nice on Sunday so I'll head out and fly.

1236 - Parking, a few structures... a tree for shade... not for planes!
1239 - Amir with his Viper (2 6S) and his BAE Hawk
1255 - Tim (the Club President) and his Ultimate Biplane (Nitro)
1274 - If I didn't know better, I'd say Tim was trained at TEMAC
1230 - A really big battery, housed and hooked up as a charging station
1226 - SpaceX launch from my backyard - 1st stage burn

bweaver

Glad to see you are having fun and have met some good buddies. 

Hopefully the winds will subside so that you can get the Timber into the sky.

Have fun!

davidk

Good idea.  I've got SAFE working... so I'll give it a go... thanks.

Should be a nice day tomorrow.

davidk

Winds ok today for the UMX Timber.  SAFE off for take-off but on for landing.

Today, Louis let me fly his Flex Cessna 170... just excellent.  He won this in a $5 raffle  :o

bweaver

Quote from: davidk on January 13, 2020, 02:58:00 PM
Winds ok today for the UMX Timber.  SAFE off for take-off but on for landing.

Today, Louis let me fly his Flex Cessna 170... just excellent.  He won this in a $5 raffle :o

But that's $5 American.  ::)

davidk

I'm not sure I really need another 3 inches... but I'll have to check around... see how others feel  ;)

I think I'll be ok with the 150.

davidk

Right... understood... more to come about that  :D

The UMX Timber isn't going to cut it for 3 months... not sure why I thought it would.

davidk

A Chipmunk, The Red Baron, an SE-5... and a cow.