ESC and Aileron Issue

Started by msatin, March 24, 2020, 09:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msatin

Sorry in advance if I should have posted this in a specific forum.
Also - I suspect I may have to wait for help until we can get together again, but thought I would get the collective brain trust working  ;D

Problem 1 - I am having the same ESC calibration  issue with 2 new planes from different mfrs
The ESC calibration is sucessful, and while the battery is connected works perfectly. Throttle cut works, and motor spins up as I increase throttle
However when the battery is disconnected and then reconnected, the motor immediately start spinning when I flip the Throttle Cut switch off, even though throttle is at Zero.
I have repaeated this many times each time the result is the same.
HobbyKing suggested I disable Throttle Cut, and calibrate. That worked until I enabled Throttle Cut again. Motor started spinning as soon as I flip the Throttle Cut switch off.
As long as Throttle Cust is disabled the motor behaves properly. Obvously this is not acceptable

Problem 2 - Aileron servos not behaving. When I use a servo tester to center the servos and check for full thro, they behave perfectly. When I plug everything in to the Rx, both servos jitter, buzz, and will only move in one direction. I tried plugging each servo in the Rx individually, with the same result.  I tried the Rx in a different plane and everything worked properly, so it's not the Rx.

Thanks for any suggestions
Stay healthy!
You never fail until you stop trying

bweaver

Hi Mark, 

Pertaining to the throttle dilemma; is the throttle trim tabs also turned right down?  I don't know if that will work, but if you test it, do only after you have removed the prop.

msatin

Thanks Bruce.
I have to yet to put the props on - TEMAC has taught me well :)

The throttle trim does solve the problem..sort of.
In the couple of times I tested this way, the Tx does not seem to retain the throttle trim setting after turning it off then on.  I could be wrong on this, and will try again.

msatin

I may have just fixed the problem.
With the Throttle Cut switch disabled, set the throttle trim all the way down.
Calibrate the ESC.
Once working, re: enable the Throttle Cut.
That seems to have done the trick.
I will continue to test just make sure

bweaver

Quote from: msatin on March 24, 2020, 09:38:23 AM
I may have just fixed the problem.
With the Throttle Cut switch disabled, set the throttle trim all the way down.
Calibrate the ESC.
Once working, re: enable the Throttle Cut.
That seems to have done the trick.
I will continue to test just make sure

That's what I was trying to tell you, but not in so many words.  Glad that problem is fixed.  Now on to #2.  (Where is that TP?)

msatin

Your suggestion is what got me to the fix Bruce - Thanks

msatin

A couple of other observations re: aileron issue
1 - Netiher servo moves when I move the stick to the right. Both exhibit the "weirdness" i described when I move the stick to the left
2 - When I connect both servos to the servo tester using a Y harness, and manually move them, both servos work exactly the way they should.
3 - Elevator, Rudder, and now motor all working properly

sihinch

If they are normal with the servo tester I'm pretty sure it's a Tx issue (set-up, mix, channel assign or something.)

msatin

I was thinking that as well Simon.
However, I even copied my Apprentice config to a new model in the Tx with the same result.
Ah well. Will probably have to figure it out at the field when normal life resumes  ;D

bweaver

Regarding the aileron problems.  Does the Rx have stabilizer feature in it?

msatin

Nothing in the description about stabilization
Here is the link
https://twistedhobbys.com/receiver-micro-6ch-dsmx-dsm2-crack-pro-2-4ghz-spectrum-jr-w-satellite-port-diversity-antenna/
FYI - I positioned the Rx in a several orientations which did not make a difference.
I doubt this has any bearing, but I had to stay relatively close (less than 1M) to the Rx to get it to bind.
I'm going to send a note to TH to see if they have any thoughts

pmackenzie

It does not specify what type of DSMX it is. If it is 11 msec, and your servos are analog, that could be causing your aileron problem.

msatin

The servos are digital.

I did get a very fast response from TH as follows:
"We do not recommend setting up those servos with a y connection, they will not get the amp/voltage.  Use the gear or alux for other aileron setup"

I presume this means one servo goes on the regular aileron connector, and the other to either gear or aux.

Thanks for responses gents