The Best 50yrs in Aviation and Volcanic Ash and Aviation...

Started by RogMason, November 05, 2020, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

Hi chaps,
For anyone interested...this just in via DH Apprentice Association:

"Two online lectures this month, both via Zoom, may interest some of you. Both are free, with no need to book.
The first is by RAeS Brough on Wednesday 11th November at 7.30 pm GMT. Ex DH apprentice, Barry Kensett (DHA Hatfield 1954-59) will talk about The Best Fifty Years in Aviation. See attached poster.

The second is by RAeS Manchester on Thursday 19th November at 7pm GMT. The subject is Volcanic Ash and Aviation. See attached Branch newsletter, which also has a report of the previous lecture, about aircraft fatigue. Page 2 has tips on using Zoom.

Regards,
Roger that...

'Roger That...'

RogMason

The poster doesn't seem to want to be attached - despite being under 1MB.  Sorry.  The presentation is still on however.
'Roger That...'

Frank v B

I saw the Mayday TV episode on the 747 that in 1982 had all 4 engines quit at night.  They were gliding for 25,000 feet of altitude and were preparing to ditch when one by one each of the 4 engines came back to life.  They unknowingly had flown through a cloud of volcanic ash that plugged all the engines.  It made a safe landing in Jakarta.  All people on board formed the Galunggung Gliding Club and had several reunions to commemorate the event.

The captain's announcement of the problem was the ultimate understatement:" Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Remarkable flying skills.

Frank

ps: as a kid, I iived in Jakarta for a year and remember driving past the sulphur smells at the edge of a volcano when en route from our house in Jakarta to the company summer home in the mountains (Bandung).  Then president Sukharno decided we had 24 hours to get out of the country when he took independance from Holland.  They came into our house with machine guns and forced us to leave immediately... along with 40,000 other expats.
"Never trade luck for skill"