B-29, Don Smith Plans

Started by Gregor77, October 14, 2020, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Thanks to Michael, Frank and Andy for offering me this 141" monster.

If any of you have a chance, look at some of the video's on you tube.  Look up Don Smith B-29.  You will see what I am up too.

This thing needs lots of love! The model has been framed up and prob sat 20+ years in a persons garage (balsa is also really dark in colour).  It requires major effort and hopefully I can work on it this winter.  I already purchased two Home depot tables to use as a work bench.  Once I make some room in the garage, this is where the magic will begin.  4 EP motors, 60A ESC's, 3-4S per motor , lots of servos, etc.  Retracts, not sure yet.

Andy thank you for bringing the plans and some parts of this monster restoration.  I am going to spend a few night analyzing all the notes and comments from the original owner.

Just need to get some better pictures of the actual model and I will post it up!

Frank v B

Go Gregor, go!!

A little background on this model.

On a Friday evening I received a call from a neighbour walking home saying that there was model airplane stuff out on the street 10 houses down.  I raced over and got all the usable RC model stuff (brass, copper, balsa, wheels, and a Futaba 6 channel FM TX,RX, etc.) and left the plastic boats, rc fishing boat (poor condition).  The next morning I needed some glass for a customer emergency and retrieved some glass from picture frames. The lady happened to come out.  She says "please take it all".  I thanked for some RC plane stuff I took yesterday and mentioned I was an RC model flyer with TEMAC.  She immediately opened her garage and said "can you use this?" (a partially built B-29) I said "no" but know someone who may be interested.  Michael was kind enough to go over immediately and pick up the model and anything else he could use.  Michael then found Greg to take the model further.

Thank you Michael.  Thank you Greg.

Everybody is happy.

Frank

ps: the lady got divorced and said "he has had enough time to pick it up and I told him it was going to be disposed of".
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Gregor77 on October 14, 2020, 06:41:18 PM
Thanks to Michael, Frank and Andy for offering me this 141" monster.

If any of you have a chance, look at some of the video's on you tube.  Look up Don Smith B-29.  You will see what I am up too.

This thing needs lots of love! The model has been framed up and prob sat 20+ years in a persons garage (balsa is also really dark in colour).  It requires major effort and hopefully I can work on it this winter.  I already purchased two Home depot tables to use as a work bench.  Once I make some room in the garage, this is where the magic will begin.  4 EP motors, 60A ESC's, 3-4S per motor , lots of servos, etc.  Retracts, not sure yet.

Andy thank you for bringing the plans and some parts of this monster restoration.  I am going to spend a few night analyzing all the notes and comments from the original owner.

Just need to get some better pictures of the actual model and I will post it up!

This is where @Gregor77 will be sleeping this winter.   8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 14, 2020, 07:28:30 PM
Go Gregor, go!!

A little background on this model.

On a Friday evening I received a call from a neighbour walking home saying that there was model airplane stuff out on the street 10 houses down.  I raced over and got all the usable RC model stuff (brass, copper, balsa, wheels, and a Futaba 6 channel FM TX,RX, etc.) and left the plastic boats, rc fishing boat (poor condition).  The next morning I needed some glass for a customer emergency and retrieved some glass from picture frames. The lady happened to come out.  She says "please take it all".  I thanked for some RC plane stuff I took yesterday and mentioned I was an RC model flyer with TEMAC.  She immediately opened her garage and said "can you use this?" (a partially built B-29) I said "no" but know someone who may be interested.  Michael was kind enough to go over immediately and pick up the model and anything else he could use.  Michael then found Greg to take the model further.

Thank you Michael.  Thank you Greg.

Everybody is happy.

Frank

ps: the lady got divorced and said "he has had enough time to pick it up and I told him it was going to be disposed of".

Great backgrounder @Frank v B .  "There are eight million stories in The Naked City.  Tis has been one of them."  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_City_(TV_series)

Andy

Frank v B

Greg, 

When you get close to the covering stage, I will volunteer to build the Bell X-1 to fit (with motor and RC).

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on October 18, 2020, 08:52:59 PM
Greg, 

When you get close to the covering stage, I will volunteer to build the Bell X-1 to fit (with motor and RC).

Frank

Hi @Gregor77 ,

Don't be surprised if the fuselage of @Frank v B 's Bell X-1 looks a LOT like a tube of DAP acrylic latex caulking!!  ;D

Andy

Frank v B

The X1 will have a 72 meg radio.  Just in case the flight is very short and it behaves more like a bomb drop than a plane drop. ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Greg, 

Frank

Hey @Frank v B ,

Could you tell us about the X-1 "motor"?  13-blade EDF? or one of Cynthia's hair dryers??

Andy

GuyOReilly

Greg, 

Frank
May I suggest using one of these motors?  ???
It would go a long way for realism...  ;D

Michael

MAAC rules do not allow for rockets fired from model airplanes.

A released glider would work.
Michael

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Michael on October 19, 2020, 11:09:00 AM

I agree Michael, no rocket can be fired from a model plane.  :-X 
However, one could power a glider with a different kind of motor, :o such as a single stage rocket engine.   ;D
It would be a glider, not a rocket.... Technically speaking...    ;)
Guy

bfeist

Quote from: GuyOReilly on October 19, 2020, 11:21:11 AM

However, one could power a glider with a different kind of motor, :o such as a single stage rocket engine.   ;D
Guy

Exactly. The Bell X-1 wasn't a rocket and neither would a model with the same propulsion be a rocket.

GuyOReilly

Quote from: bfeist on October 19, 2020, 02:02:50 PM
Quote from: GuyOReilly on October 19, 2020, 11:21:11 AM

Guy

Exactly. The Bell X-1 wasn't a rocket and neither would a model with the same propulsion be a rocket.

Great minds think alike...  ;D   fools seldom differ...  :o

Gregor77

Ok, sounds good!  Although this was done by Mac Hodges, it would be pretty cool being EP.

https://youtu.be/asu1OqhPGRg

Frank v B

I'm off the website for 22 hours...... because I am a working stiff..... and there have been several posts at my expense. ???

The X-1:
- It will have a prop just like every other model at TEMAC has a prop.
- It will be dropped and not fired.  I know MAAC rules don't allow anything to be fired from a plane.
- This will be a belly launch...... just like a piggy back glider launch... but the Australian version (up-side down!)
- just like Andre Laurent and Bill Quantock did at TEMAC about 5-6 years ago from Andre's B-29.  Bill flew the X-1.

The real reason I promised to do this is to give Greg the incentive to finish the model.  It will be a balsa adventure. Bill Q's was foam. ;D

Frank