Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Well @Frank v B ,

I guess it's time to ice the cake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JONkLEx6zeE

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on January 31, 2021, 11:04:09 AM
I do not know if you saw this documentary about the DC3.  It is a bit long, but an interesting film.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvh3o4U5jnw

Thanks so much for sharing this @GuyOReilly .  It provides a terrific historical retrospective. I remember a couple of flights on DC3's when I was about 3-4 years old.

Sure makes one itchy to build a DC3!

Andy

Frank v B

Final report:

- connected the rudder and elevator servos.  Used very thin piano wire inside full length aluminum tubes.
- soldered the two sets of ESC wires to a JST battery plug and joined the radio wires via a small "Y"  connector.
- connected the ailerons to the two wing servos.  Used thin piano wire.

FINAL WEIGH-IN.  Total weight- 15.1 oz.
Fuselage- 4.7 oz
Wing with motors and ESC's- 8.0 oz.
battery 3S 800 mah  2.4 oz.

Will it fly?  Each motor has a max of 110 watts.  That's 233 watts per pound.  Oops.  I think I overdid it, especially since two separate motors produce more thrust than one motor with the same wattage.

Meets the Modeller's objective: "Always overpower a model airplane.  You can always throttle back....if you have to!"

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 03, 2021, 09:20:38 PM
Final report:

- connected the rudder and elevator servos.  Used very thin piano wire inside full length aluminum tubes.
- soldered the two sets of ESC wires to a JST battery plug and joined the radio wires via a small "Y"  connector.
- connected the ailerons to the two wing servos.  Used thin piano wire.

FINAL WEIGH-IN.  Total weight- 15.1 oz.
Fuselage- 4.7 oz
Wing with motors and ESC's- 8.0 oz.
battery 3S 800 mah  2.4 oz.

Will it fly?  Each motor has a max of 110 watts.  That's 233 watts per pound.  Oops.  I think I overdid it, especially since two separate motors produce more thrust than one motor with the same wattage.

Meets the Modeller's objective: "Always overpower a model airplane.  You can always throttle back....if you have to!"

Frank

Perfect!  Now you can fearlessly practice one-engine-out maneuvers!!  8)

Congrats @Frank v B !

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

Just prepped it for a maiden flight tomorrow (Sunday, June 20) at Rogo Field.
Put in a 370 mah 3 cell pack.  Fingers crossed.  Say a prayer.

Frank

Frank v B

The re-maiden went well today.  Managed about two circuits of the field and brought it in for a landing.  It did a cartwheel in the beans but it survived unscathed.  The only thing damaged was my ego having to do the walk of shame through the beans again. ;)\

Note the amount of "down" elevator in level flight.  That's how I had to fly straight and not-so-level.

Photo by Andy.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Here is @Frank v B 's large-scale DC-3!   ;D

n.b. Frank-style soft focus on #3938.  :D

A great airshow by Frank!

Andy