CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Other than more sanding and control horns, the tail feather are done.

I did "beef-up" a few areas to make sure the covering won't twist nor bend balsa ribs.

The stabilizer is a snug fit in the fin, with a bit of room to accommodate covering.

Michael

Frank v B

Great to see the progress.

Just ran across a French mega scale model meet. A report that has videos of 2 CL 415's 5.6 meter span, 50 kg.  Look at 47:15 run time.
I love the Super Connie (146 kg's!!) at 1:20 run time.  Also, the huge DH 88 (6.8 m span, 68kg's) for Rogerthat at 35:27 run time.

Nice to see a great assortment of aircraft with a lot of great take-offs and landings.

Andy, look at the transmitters.  72 meg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgi7kUcD6uA

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Solid fuselage sides:

1. Balsa sheets from the store are usually not exactly straight-edged, so that's what I took care of first. Then they're glued together.

2. Plans are carefully placed on top of the balsa, and the edges are marked onto the balsa through the plans with a pin-tipped tool.

3. Then, carefully cut out. The shape doesn't need to be exact (I'm cutting free-hand, so, up or down a milometer or so), but the 2 sides will have to be the same.

Michael

Michael

The sheeting wasn't quite wide enough, so 2 other pieces are cut to shape/size, and glued on.

The glue joint is done on top of the clear plastic backing from a roll of Monokote; CA does not stick to it at all. It does stick to wax paper sometimes.

One side is done; then trace the exact shape onto more sheeting.

Michael

octagon

So I got a couple of hours to work this afternoon. I sheeted the top of the fuse and then the horizontal stab and vertical stab. When I built the finletts I sheeted them with 1/32. That was a mistake. the sheeting was so thin that when I tried to slip them into the slots in the stab, the sheeting chipped and things just went from bad to worse as I tried to make them fit. When one broke in half I decided to just make new ones out of 1/8th sheet and use 1/64 ply to make a skin to strengthen them. Now I am happy with them. I have installed the battery tray, nice big area. I have decided I will leave the servos in the tail as I am pretty sure using 2 batteries will balance the plane. Next step will be to cover 1/2 of the fuse so I still have access to the inside of the plane on the unsheeted other side. Then the dreaded flaps before tackling the nacelles. I think it will be easer to work on the flaps without the nacelles in place. I want to do flaps just because the plane looks so cool (I am talking about Rob Pike's plane now) just slowed right down with the big barn door flaps down and the plane just skimming across the water as if it was picking up a load to dump on a fire. We really need to find some place to float fly next year!
What could possibly go wrong?

octagon

The starboard side of the fuse is sheeted. I covered the 1/8th hull bottom with a skin of 1/64 ply. Should protect it well. The whole lot will be glassed over. The flaps are built, but not sheeted on top yet, I will do that after I build the scale hinges. On to the nacelles.

bweaver

They are all coming along great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael

Front inner fuselage sides scored (cut about half-way through) in anticipation of challenges when bending the wood.

(The cuts make bending inwards easier.)
Michael

octagon

Remember the Windex Michael.
Made the hinges for the flaps. A lot of  cutting of small parts , but I think it is going to work.

Michael

Building formers, strong and square.
Michael

Michael

Fuselage starts taking shape.

Michael

Michael

2 more formers.

Michael

octagon

Looks good and should help with your idea to build as light as possible.

octagon

I am pretty happy with the way the flaps turned out. I used the scale hinges that are on the plans, made them out of 3/32 aircraft ply. I plan to operate the flaps with a servo contained in the wing and running a pushrod to the leading edge of the flap, instead of an exterior linkage. Built the servo tray, and I think I will just attach the servo to the tray itself, maybe hot glue. Kind of a busy day tomorrow but maybe get a start on the nacelles.

bweaver

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT USE HOT GLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!