Spring Field Clean Up is on! Sat 16th April at 9:30am

Started by sihinch, March 10, 2016, 06:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Given the apparent early departure of winter this year, we are planning our Spring field clear up & maintenance day soon.

It will be either Saturday March 19th at 9:30am.

Or Sunday March 20th at 9:30am.

We will confirm here. But as usual please come and help us spread grass seed, roll the runway and clear the drainage ditch.

This maintenance helps provide everyone at the club with a longer and uninterrupted season so please do come and help.

sihinch

We're aiming for Saturday 19th March at 9:30am.

This event is weather dependent.

Please come and help.

gmcnic

Good day folks,

After checking the forecast for the next few weeks, we will modify this Saturday's clean up to concentrate on rolling the runway and pit area, raking the parking lot and lane way, check/clear the drainage ditches and adding some high visibility marking to the parking fence to help me avoid driving into it.

After speaking with our grass seed vendor, I decided to postpone top seeding until the temperature remains above +7°C.  So probably sometime in mid-April.

The weather for Saturday looks good albeit a bit cool so please dress appropriately.
Coffee and donuts will be offered to all who pitch in.

Hope to see you there!
Graham

Frank v B

I will be there a little later (11:00) after my 8:30 am business appointment.  Graham, call me if you want me to pick up stuff at Tim's on the way in.

Please remember that Ryerson training will happen at about 12:00 but other members can fly at the same time.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

gmcnic

A cold air mass will be moving into the area today dropping temperatures well below zero.
Rob Dickinson is heading off to sunny and warm Mexico tomorrow.
So given these 2 factors, we think it is best to delay the field clean up until warmer weather prevails.

At the moment, we are looking to reschedule for 02/Apr or 09/Apr and will keep you updated as we approach those weekends.
Stay warm and have a great weekend!

Graham

Frank v B

I will be there by noon with a shovel so I can play little Dutch boy diverting water if the temperature/sun is warm enough to melt the overnight ice. 
Ryerson may be there at noon tomorrow.  They will make the call at 9 am.... once they roll-call and see who survived the Friday night party. ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

I am certain they will be inextricably drawn to the Frank and Andy Gong Show - our universal appeal is irresistible !! ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Good call in delaying the field clean-up.  The ground was still frozen at 11 am when I arrived and did not start to thaw until about 1:30 pm.  The gravel driveway was completely frozen and it was impossible to dig through the gravel until about noon.

Frank

gmcnic

The weather forecast  for the upcoming weekend looks less than ideal.  (Actually, it's a little depressing when I see snowflakes showing up :( )  So as we await sunny days and that magic sustained temperature above +7°C, we are rescheduling the clean up to Saturday, April 16th.

Frank vB and BJ helped out last weekend drudging some drainage channels for the parking lot and lane way so we actually have a nice head start on the dirty work.

Stay tuned for final confirmation...

gmcnic

The forecast looks fantastic for Saturday's clean up and flying.
I picked up the grass seed today and will be filling the roller tomorrow.
So charge some batteries and grab some tools for 9:30am on 16/April.

Rubber boots are recommended for the rather muddy field.
We will need:
Lawn spreaders for the grass seed
Digging shovels
Garden rakes
1 more lawn roller, if possible

Some parts of the parking lot are soft & muddy.  If you see an orange cone at the laneway entrance, please park on the side of Stouffville Road.
There are both light and heavy chores to get done.
So come on out and join us for some fun!

Graham

PS-  Andy, what does it mean, "polders"?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: gmcnic on April 14, 2016, 03:17:56 PM
The forecast looks fantastic for Saturday's clean up and flying.
I picked up the grass seed today and will be filling the roller tomorrow.
So charge some batteries and grab some tools for 9:30am on 16/April.

Rubber boots are recommended for the rather muddy field.
We will need:
Lawn spreaders for the grass seed
Digging shovels
Garden rakes
1 more lawn roller, if possible

Some parts of the parking lot are soft & muddy.  If you see an orange cone at the laneway entrance, please park on the side of Stouffville Road.
There are both light and heavy chores to get done.
So come on out and join us for some fun!

Graham

PS-  Andy, what does it mean, "polders"?

I would simply refer to it as reclaimed land.  Given its Dutch origin, expect a long, scholarly diatribe from Frank on this!! 8)

Frank v B

Andy and Graham,

re:"Given its Dutch origin, expect a long, scholarly diatribe from Frank on this!! 8)

Yawn!* :)

Frank

* that's as scholarly and diatribal as I can get after a long day's work.

Frank v B

What a gorgeous day.  Gerald counted 29 people.  Some came later, some had to go earlier.  I believe all the work got done but that will be up to our property manager Graham to determine.  He ran a tight ship.  It was great playing around in the drainage canals.  Thanks to the river rats who helped clear the drainage channels and Piker for bringing his chain saw to get rid of roots blocking the channels.
Great flying as well.  Wind down the runway.  What a treat compared to the tree snapping crosswinds we have been battling in the early spring with the Ryerson team.

Thanks to all who helped.

Frank

gmcnic

Spring fever must have hit.  As Frank mentions, we had a fantastic showing for this year's Spring clean up. 

I am so pleased how much got done!  In addition to the river gang working magic in the channels, we got the runway repaired, re-tucked and meticulously rolled; the main field seeded, the entire pit, spectator and overflow parking areas rolled and seeded; the parking fences marked with high visibility tape; and the storage bin cleaned out after serving as a nice winter shelter for some relative of Mickey's.  Don Duthie so kindly did the Tim's run allowing me to sit back and enjoy watching everyone do their thing.

The runway was full of foot indentations from using it so early this season.  The field has dried up a lot and will benefit from this upcoming week's sunny forecast.  But if at all possible, please try to limit walking on it for another week when it should be firmed up nicely.

I think the field is looking in great shape.
To all who came out, thank you a million!

Graham

sihinch

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

What a fabulous turn out of willing volunteers.  I thought there was a wonderful atmosphere with lots of laughs, that made the work just seem like fun.  Didn't it?

As Graham said, the field is looking great and should flourish as the spring progresses.

A big special thanks to Graham for pulling it all together.