1/6.78 Scale Hawker Typhoon

Started by wollins, August 31, 2012, 11:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Hey Colin,

I'm glad to see you're back at it.  Lookin' forward to some fresh progress!

Robert

wollins

Yup ... gotta try to finish this beast cause I have four others waiting to be worked on.  :o   Ok so on with the "thread transfer".  ;D   
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

wollins

March 30, 2012, 10:44:49 am »       Next up ... #8. Retractable wheel well doors. Working on the retract mains right now.

|
|
|

wollins

April 08, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »   

Well, I found a way to chop more than a POUND off the "projected" AUW! How? Drop from the 60oz 12S pack to a 10S! There are a couple of other areas of savings but that's 14ozs right there! This move will also save me about $150 ... in addition to the batteries being cheaper (10S 5800mah as opposed to 12S 5800mah) now I don't have to get the very expensive Hercules UBEC I would have needed. (which works for up to 14S packs)

The following is its kit weights:

Fuse – 29.5oz
Center Wing – 30.2oz
Left Wing – 12.5oz
Right Wing – 12.35oz
Stab joiner tube – 1.1ozs
Wing joiners – 2.6ozs
Pushrods – 1.7ozs
Servo covers and blocks - .75ozs
Radiator cover - .75ozs
Cowl – 7.9oz
Exhaust – 2ozs
Left Stab – 3.25ozs
Right stab – 3.3ozs
Rudder – 2.15ozs
Canopy – 1.75oz
Gear covers – 1.85ozs
Fabricated supplementary gear covers – 1oz?
Fabricated wheel well covers – 1oz?
TOTAL KIT WEIGHT = 115.65ozs?

The following is now its COMPONENT weights:

SUPPO 7035/8 190KV 44ozs (WITH CONNECTORS AND MOUNT?)
Motor mount standoffs and 8-32 bolts: 4.44oz???
CC 85A HV ESC: 4.2ozs
Turnigy 20 X 12 electric wood prop 3ozs?
4.72" diameter (120mm x 103mm) 3 blade spinner: 7oz
10S Zippy 5800mAh(25/35C) (46oz ea)
Airtronics 2.4 Ghz 8ch Receiver: .46oz
1 HS-5625MG servo: 2ozs (for elevator)
1 HS-5625MG servo: 2ozs (for rudder)
4 HS-5485HB servos (1.6oz each): 6.4ozs (2 for flaps and 2 for ailerons)
Turnigy UBec: 1.5ozs
LADO Electric Retracts/LADO Struts/Hobby King 4" wheels: 15.5ozs
Electric tail retract/Strut/1¾" wheel: 2ozs

Misc (glue, servo extensions, pushrods and servo screws etc): 8ozs???
Pilot, cockpit and cannons: 8ozs???

TOTAL COMPONENT WEIGHT = 154.5oz??? OR 9lbs 10.5ozs???
TOTAL KIT WEIGHT =
115.65ozs???
TOTAL ALL UP = (270.15ozs OR 16lbs 14ozs AUW???)

The only thing left to do to confirm this decision is to do a mock up of the plane and see if I can get the CG with the now lighter pack since this bird needs a LOT of weight up front to balance.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

April 15, 2012, 11:13:16 pm »

So I made some home made gromets/washers. ;D Got an old inner tube (bicycle) and used my sharpened brass tool that I use to "drill" holes in foam to cut them out. After you've cut them out, the key is to get your "starter" hole in dead center (second pic) so that when you screw your screw into it, it'll be nice and even.

Incidentally to get them tight up under my screw head I just screwed the screw with the gromet on the end into a piece of wood (in this case a popcicle stick ;) ) and that "screws" the gromet/washer neatly on. (Fifth pic shows when I back the screw out how even and flush the gromet is on the screw)

I know all this is probably of no value to the grizzled veterans out there but I thought it was kinda neat how they came out so for those less experienced I thought I'd share. ;D

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

April 15, 2012, 11:33:13 pm »   

So I'm finally about to bolt my motor on to this bird and thought I'd share a pic before I do so. All accounts indicate that she'll need A LOT of weight up front to balance. Some have been adding a pound or two of lead in addition to putting their 40ozs+ worth of batteries in the cowl!!! I'm baseing all of this on the old KMP Typhoon which I'm 99.99999% positive this was cloned after since all measurements, airfoil and weights etc are exactly the same.

In any event, I prefer to add usefull weight and that's why I got this BEAST of a motor. ;) ;D In terms of power it's COMPLETE OVERKILL for this plane, (since it can do up to 7000 watts and this plane will only be propped for 2,500 watts or so) but its weight should do quite nicely. ;D To mount it I'll need to use a secondary backplate "base" in addition to the backplate mount it came with. Together all the stuff you see in the pic come up to a whopping 59 ounces! This together with the 7 ounce spinner and 2.5 ounce prop should ensure that I don't have to put my batts in the cowl which I'm loathe to do. ;)

Colin 
|
|
|

wollins

60oz... I looked around at my planes and it took four of the ones in view with there batteries to get to 60oz! That is just the motor! My heaviest plane totals just 100oz. I'm such a light weight. You need to adopt the beer bottle for scale approach for pictures like that one Colin!  « Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:40:21 am by ededge2002 »   

April 16, 2012, 09:34:32 am »

Don't worry, the motor ALONE is only 48 ozs! Here's the comparison. (I don't drink beer. ;) :) )

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

June 07, 2012, 11:33:04 pm »   

Darn time flys! Well, yesterday I finally got my batteries and props for this bird so I have no excuse now but to get her done! My goal now is to have her maidened first and THEN finished (all the final details) by the Kingston Funfly. Ambitious I know but hey ... I'll give it my best shot!

Incidentally the second pic also shows my "dummy" pack based on the online specs so that I could dry fit them before ordering. The actual packs are gonna be in the 10S 8000mah configuration and weigh in at a mere 73 ounces. :o

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

June 08, 2012, 02:42:01 pm »   

Quote from: piker on June 08, 2012, 10:14:42 am
Colin,

Are all those packs going in at one time?

Robert

Lord no! I need a LOT of nose weight but 146 ounces would be a bit much! ;) Yeah those are four 5S 8000mah packs you're seeing ... so it'll make two 10S 8000mah packs. Each 5S pack weighs four times the weight of my little P-40 that I'm building right now. :o Gosh darn the wing loading of this thing will be frightening. :o But no matter I'm now shooting for 19lbs all up which is about right apparently for this clone of a KMP Typhoon. ;D Some have even come in at about 20lbs and still reported that it flys well at that weight so we'll see. Unfortunately I've never been know to make a "light" plane and apparently I'm not gonna buck that trend now.  ::)

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

June 18, 2012, 08:51:22 pm »   

Ok, I'm back at it ... the pic attached is the actual historical plane that I'm trying to replicate. It's a late production model Mk1B from No. 183 squadron. These were the versions with which they introduced the "bubble" canopy. (changed from the "car door" canopy from earlier production models)

The only difference beween mine and this one is that Im gonna be painting my tail band and spinner in the same yellow as the strips on the leading edge of the wing ... Yes it's not scale but I like the yellow. The mint green of the original is a little too "blah" for me since the entre color scheme is kinda drab anyway. This is my little attempt at creative liberty is order to add a wee bit of color to my plane. :)

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

June 19, 2012, 09:47:32 am »Quote Colin,  Will it be ready for Kingston???  I still see a lot of pics of unassembled parts.  I'm hoping to see it
----------------------------------
June 19, 2012, 10:02:25 am »Quote I too hope to see it in Kingston.  The Kingston RC Club is a great place to fly planes like that.  But "no pressure"   
I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job on it.  But, as Andre said, we still haven't seen the plane itself.  Even when I've been to your place you always seem to have it hidden away.  Maybe it doesn't really exist!   
Robert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ededge2002

Re: 1/6.78 Scale Hawker Typhoon
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:12 am »Quote Quote " we still haven't seen the plane itself.  Even when I've been to your place you always seem to have it hidden away.  Maybe it doesn't really exist!  "
Possibly he is pulling our legs?  April 1st was months ago. I'm going to need some help kicking his ass!  Who's in?
Member#2003
Formosa Racing #666
#############################
#NOW AVAILABLE AT:  http://temac.ca/smf/#
#############################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
piker

Re: 1/6.78 Scale Hawker Typhoon
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34:40 am »Quote You hold him down and I'll kick his ass then run away 
Unless, of course, he actually produces a 1:6.78 (very specific) Hawker Typhoon.

------------------------------------------------------------------

June 19, 2012, 01:45:52 pm »

Yes, it exists ... I sent two hours in between clients yesterday sanding so it's here all right. ;D Trust me this thing is taking so long I want to kick my OWN ass! :( ::) Believe it or not I set a definite date last night for the maiden. Thursday the 28th June ... DURING THE DAY. Hee hee! No pressure from spectators needed. lol. Off to do some airbrushing now ... I have another two hours before my next client. Maybe if you guys behave yourselves I'll post some pics of the plane all painted and mocked up later. ;)

Colin   

|
|
|

wollins

June 22, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »   
  Well there's good news and there's bad news ...

The good news is the Typhoon is starting to come together ... and the bad news is that because this MUST fly before Kingston, I have to pass on the Float Fly tomorrow because I need every minute I can get to work on this thing. I've decided that I just have to get it "flyable" so that the maiden gets done next week. I've wasted far too much time pondering on the details (all the fancy stuff that I want to do on this) and a lot of that kinda stuff calls for a LOT of time and brainpower, both of which are in short supply these days!

I just need to fly this thing ... and then I can do all the fancy stuff after. (Landing and navigation lights, sliding canopy, detailed cockpit, supplementary retractible gear doors, detailing and weathering etc, etc, etc) I know after seeing the pics I'm goinna post later tomight that it might look like it shouldn't take a lot of more time to get her into flyable condition, but with my time schedule (and young daughter) its gonna be tough. Anyways staying home tomorrow should give me a solid five hours on it which "should" put me closer to being on track for the maiden later in the week.

I still have to figure out and fabricate the battery location and battery compartment situation ... I still have to put in all the servos, linkages, pin all control surfaces, etc, etc, etc. Basically as I type this its an arf. At least i've got most of the painting done ... just have to basically do the registration numbers etc.

To give you an idea as to how the simplest of things can take so much time ... I masked and painted the canopy today ... it took about an hour and a half JUST TO MASK IT. :o However I'm sooo glad I took my time cause it came out beautiful in the end. Really sharp lines etc. See for yourself ..

BTW, you'll notice a black line/mark in the first pic and on the base of the far side of the canopy in pic #4 ... it's not a crack but a mark I made on the inside to tell me where to make the transition between the green and the grey in the camo scheme. ;D You can see the actual color transition in the next pic.

Colin

P.P.S Pics of the plane all put together (loosely assempled with tape etc) to come ...
|
|
|

wollins

June 23, 2012, 12:35:12 am »   

Well here she is! This paint job was such a learning curve for me ... airbrushing and all that stuff is totally new to me but I find that the camo scheme is very forgiving ... since you can "smudge" and it looks intentional! ;) I'm actually quite pleased with how it came out ... a lot of the transitions I got right ... some not so right ... the wings and tail feathers etc came out awesome in this regard ... the fuse not so much. Maybe it was by the time I got to the wings etc I had some practice.

In any event ... oh and by the way Rob, the reason you never saw it when you had come by was it was out to a friends because I had asked him to paint it (he owns a body shop) but he was never able to get around to it so I took it back. The first pic shows the base colors. (good ole latex from Home depot believe it or not!)

Colin 
|
|
|

wollins

June 24, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »   
   Quote from: ededge2002 on June 24, 2012, 02:05:40 pm
For reference how big is that prop? Looks great but hard to get size from the photo. I'm going to loan you a beer bottle to use for scaling your photos.

21X12 ... However I may be using a 22x13 if I need the extra weight (2 ounces more) and if the amp draw is within my limits.

Colin
|
|
|

wollins

Well, after much deliberation I've decided to get this to the "flyable" stage ... get the maiden done and THEN do all the scale stuff that I originally planned.  This way we'll see if she even flys first... time is such a prescious comodity for me these days that I'd hate to put in all that extra time and effort prematurely. This coupled with the fact that there are FOUR other planes that have to be done in time for the season start is a good reason for my decision.

Anyways finally did some work on her today ... after taking about 15 minutes just to get back up to speed on where I left off!  ;D Have to set up my control surfaces so decided to start with the elevator.  This has split elevators and typically what I'd do in this circumstance would be to use dual servos (typically in the tail) and then use a servo equalizer to balance them up. 

However in this case I'm gonna go old school and use one servo situated in the somewhat traditional spot (mid to front fuse) since I need all the weight I can get up front.  I'm just gonna use a "Split" control rod (or in this case Sullivan Gold N' Rods) for the hook up. Normally I would use a metal one (top in first pic) but there was some binding so decided to go with the Sullivans.  Just had to join them at one end (I used some light gauge wire) and we were good to go.

Apologies for not having something more "exciting" to post! lol!  ;D

Colin   
|
|
|