DeHavilland Beaver Walk Around...

Started by RogMason, October 20, 2019, 08:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

Eager Beaver Gentlemen,
Here's an interesting and extremely detailed walk around of a Beaver, owned by a Texan, Russell Armstrong. The 67 yr old aeroplane is in wonderful condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyf6huPUJo&feature=youtu.be
'Roger That...'

Frank v B

It is a neat plane.  I flew my E-Flite Beaver this morning.  It is a sweet flier.

The walkaround describes that the plane was designed after talking to bush pilots.  What a concept.

To appreciate how differently a bush pilot looks at flying from an airline pilot, look at this landing (What water?) and takeoff (starts at 2:05) video of a turbo Otter.  Bush pilots appear to be part pilot, part daredevil and part idiot. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GAo3DUwBPI

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

BJROB

Thanks Roger and Frank
I now know why I absolutely love ❤️ to fly My beaver
The lines on this aircraft were made for our country and its challenges
The cold the heat the wind and storms it can fly in....what a plane
For me it looks so sweet when sweeping in on its final approach or that the awesome low passes
Moving across in front of the pilot 👩‍✈️ me.....
Thanks for sharing guys
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

RogMason

Russell Armstrong mentions a group of bush pilots that assisted with the specs of the new aeroplane during the design stage.  When Mason Advertising was on Merton St. in the 1980's, my secretary got married to an older guy she'd known for years, called John Garratt. John was the son of a Canadian bush pilot named Phil Garratt.  Phil also happened to be a personal friend of Geoffery de Havilland and was appointed Managing Director of DeHavilland Canada in the 1930's.

When designing DeHavilland Canada's second aircraft, it was Phil Garratt's idea to ask his contemporaries - other Bush pilots, such as Wop May and Max Ward to mention just two and to have everyone pitch in with their idea of what would make a great bush plane.  As you heard Russell say "A pick-up truck with wings", STOL, Wheels, Floats or Ski's, convertible from passenger to cargo, thick, strong wing, sturdy, wide under cart configuration, easy to refuel.. etc.

Russell said his was #86 off the line. That is quite an early one and the condition is remarkable.  #1 off the production line hung from the ceiling at the Ontario Science Centre for many years when I worked there pre 1975.  One day there was a huge 'crump' sound resonate through the building.  The Beaver had dropped from the ceiling and hit the floor.  Luckily, it was after hours and no one was near by at the time.  The amazing thing was, the plane dropped onto its wheels and had no visible sign of damage!  Talk about a hard landing?  It was an indication of just how sturdy the design was
'Roger That...'

bweaver

Frank's video demonstrates how nature's beavers helped make an aquatic environment and docking facilities for man's flying beaver.