Ryerson University- helping them out in 2016

Started by Frank v B, January 10, 2016, 11:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

This is just to inform the membership that we have been approached again by Ryerson University's Aeronautics group to help teach them how to fly RC.  There are several components within the faculty working on RC projects (heavy lift, autonomous flight, autonomous quadcopter, etc.).  Last year Graham, Jack and I helped maiden their heavy lift plane at the TEMAC field.  It easily carried 8 pounds on just 4 cells (my battery) when their 6S connector solder joint failed during assembly.  They competed in California and did extremely well.  I believe they placed 3rd.

This year the request came from Jason Naipaul (forum signature jsnaipaul) who registered on our Forum today.  Our involvement is to teach two pilots how to fly RC before the May competition.  Their mission is to be back-up pilots for an autonomous flight competition. 

The neat part for TEMAC is that Ryerson has a lot of high tech hardware that they have volunteered to us on an as-needed basis.  They have made a significant investment in 3D printers, CAD design capability and CNC milling.

I hope to give more details at the Wednesday's pilots meeting.

Frank

ps: Temac and the Bramalea RC Flyers have teamed up with Ryerson for about 5 years now.  Our mission is to add practical support to their RC needs.  The original support and request came from John's Hobbies on the Danforth who supplied a lot of the RC equipment to Ryerson but needed help in the flight portion of the hobby.  Yes... Andy...they contacted me about flight instruction and we have fooled them for five years so far ;D
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 10, 2016, 11:51:25 AM
This is just to inform the membership that we have been approached again by Ryerson University's Aeronautics group to help teach them how to fly RC.  There are several components within the faculty working on RC projects (heavy lift, autonomous flight, autonomous quadcopter, etc.).  Last year Graham, Jack and I helped maiden their heavy lift plane at the TEMAC field.  It easily carried 8 pounds on just 4 cells (my battery) when their 6S connector solder joint failed during assembly.  They competed in California and did extremely well.  I believe they placed 3rd.

This year the request came from Jason Naipaul (forum signature jsnaipaul) who registered on our Forum today.  Our involvement is to teach two pilots how to fly RC before the May competition.  Their mission is to be back-up pilots for an autonomous flight competition. 

The neat part for TEMAC is that Ryerson has a lot of high tech hardware that they have volunteered to us on an as-needed basis.  They have made a significant investment in 3D printers, CAD design capability and CNC milling.

I hope to give more details at the Wednesday's pilots meeting.

Frank

ps: Temac and the Bramalea RC Flyers have teamed up with Ryerson for about 5 years now.  Our mission is to add practical support to their RC needs.  The original support and request came from John's Hobbies on the Danforth who supplied a lot of the RC equipment to Ryerson but needed help in the flight portion of the hobby.  Yes... Andy...they contacted me about flight instruction and we have fooled them for five years so far ;D

Those poor, innocent, unsuspecting souls!  This takes traumatic experience to a whole new level !! What will become of them? ...tsk, tsk ...... :'(

Andy

thehaze

Hey Frank,

I'd like to help. Not sure what the time commitment is though. But if it works, then count me in.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Thanks Mike.  Will let you know.  The plans may involve indoor training on buddy cords during the winter.  Ryerson is checking into gym availability now.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 14, 2016, 09:15:41 PM
Thanks Mike.  Will let you know.  The plans may involve indoor training on buddy cords during the winter.  Ryerson is checking into gym availability now.

Frank

How will they learn what the sky looks like???!! ;D

Snowballs

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Frank v B

Greg,

Thanks for putting Mr. (S)No-Balls in his place. ;D
We will even paint the North star on the ceiling so he can get his bearings.

Frank

thehaze

Frank

OK  keep me posted
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Just got word today that the Ryerson team have bought two Apprentices and they arrived today.  They hope to have them assembled by Tuesday evening.  I will meet with them at Ryerson to go over ground school stuff (binding, throws, etiquette, objectives, behaviour, etc.).  The 4 Ryerson pilots we have been asked to train have confirmed their MAAC membership.  Once the ground school is over, I will be asking for instructors to help.  Mike Hazelton, our CFI, will get to assemble the teaching team.  Hope I am included.... if he thinks I am good enough. :D

That will force me to go out and fly in the snow.  No Andy, I am not wearing my bathing suit.... and stop grinning! ;D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

I would be more than pleased to provide coaching on selection and deployment of snowpants, boots and other winter gear.  These kids need some balanced, unbiased instruction.  ;D

Snowballs

Frank v B

re: Andy's "I would be more than pleased to provide coaching...."

Now I am worried.  I can just see Andy dusting off his snow flying presentation.... the wide rubber bands from asparagus, (blue, green or pink), the 14 layers of clothes, the hip waders.....  :D

Frank

Andy Hoffer

In all seriousness, it was a magnificent day at the field.  Moderate winds straight out of the north, -6C (-11C wind chill), clear blue sky, a nice layer of snow (a few cm), and the driveway and parking are totally accessible.  I had a curious turkey vulture sharing the airspace and providing great company.  Runway is pretty well snow-covered now, and you will need skis or floats if not hand-launching.

I think the Ryerson kids would have loved it.  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Ground School will be at Ryerson 6 pm this Thursday Jan 28.  Room details to follow.  The purpose of the ground school is to check out both planes (glue joints, alignment, servo throws and direction, etc.), bind the transmitters, set up the buddy box, go over safety rules (MAAC and TEMAC) and field etiquette.  There are 4 student pilots.

I will be representing TEMAC but any of the members or instructors who are available can meet me there.

Frank

Wingnutz

Frank
Perhaps it's already in the works, but seems to me that if the students are complete newbies, some simulator time would be a useful part of a learning plan and easier to co-ordinate than a gym or winter weather!
Would sure liven up ground school! :D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

Mr. Nutz,

They have been given access to a simulator program by Peter Bradley of Ryerson.

Frank