Scratch Building Class - Norseman Build

Started by piker, March 21, 2013, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

I guess the other guys in the class are building...they're not posting.
Next step was the landing gear.
Unionville (kit company) supplies a neat fiberglass LG strap for the guys building the small model. I got two pieces of 3/32 music wire and a sheet of paper to show me what shape the wires are supposed to be. Bending this stuff is like bending steel...come to think of it, it is steel and the only way I could bend it was to put the wire in a vice and lean on it. A ball peen hammer added encouragement.
Took me a couple of hours to bend the four pieces accurately enough that they came together in more or less the right places. Next, a learning opportunity soldering 3/32" wire!  ::)
I used 4" Robarts lo bounce wheels as the  LG is extremely rigid to prevent damage to the Norseman's LG fairings.
Rogo Field will test my soldering!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

I guess that's your fault for getting the big one, Bill!!! Just kidding.

I popped in last night to see how things were going and it was awesome! Great idea sharing and discussion.  I was there for about 45 mins and learnt a lot (and got to understand some of the challenges!)

Way to go everyone!

Wingnutz

Simon,
I'll have you know my Norseman is not the only part of me that's big; stomach, ego, right knee...bet you thought I was going somewhere else with that one and would attach pictures!  :o

Papa

So when Frank finished the covering on the side I asked him to leave it as it was. Windows and the switch covered. Well! here's how I finished the windows.

The first picture is set up to show how I cut the film from the underside with the blade up to avoid scratching the acetate. I left about a 1/16th" over lap of film so I could turn it down with my iron. I used a detail iron set on low heat and took my time. The result is shown in the next picture.

I used 1mm Carbon Fibre rod to simulate the rubber seals on the window. They also conceal and ragged edges of the film. I put a small dab of canopy glue in each corner using the pointed end of a bamboo skewer to deposit a small amount accurately. I used a fine wire stripper to cut the rod as I find it makes a nice clean cut without any crushing. The second picture shows the rods before installing them.

The last picture show the final result. the glue is still drying and shows up white but dries clear. I did take a picture of that but it was out of focus. Andy Hoffer I aren't.

I thought you might be interested to see how it turned out.

Jack. 

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Papa

Some more progress. I put the registration letters on and painted the cowl. For the registration letters I used a method suggested by Dave Henry at Pinnacle. I made a photo copy of the letters in the size I needed. The type was Amarillo, the one used by the USAF, and you can download it from fonts101.com. I tacked the photo copy to the trim colour using a glue stick, very sparingly. I then cut the letters with a scissors and peeled off the photo copy and the backing paper. The glue stick is water soluble so I wiped any residue off with a damp cloth. I used masking tape to line up and position the letters. I'm pleased with the result.

I painted the cowl in the nearest colour I could find to my trim colour and it looks good. With the paint etc. my lovely tight fit has become too tight and I will have to adjust it with some sanding. Oh the joys of scratch building, one long adjustment.

jack.
A motto to live by:

eric

Hi Guys;

I haven't posted much about the Norseman build so thought I'd update. I've completed the framework and have covered the flaps, ailerons and fuselage. One thing I have to say is thank you to Ken Coleman. I wouldn't be as far as I am now without his expert help and advice.

One thing I would like to share is how we did the windshield on this model. It worked out very well and here is how it was done just in case one of you wants to go this route.

First, we cut a paper pattern larger than needed for the windshield and pared it down a bit at a time until it fit perfectly. The pattern was then transferred to a sheet of overhead projector acetate. Remember the old overheads, before Powerpoint came on the scene?

I decided I wanted a dark screen so used the tinting material used to stick on auto windows for sun glare protection. The acetate was bathed, sloshed actually, with Windex and the black film laid on top. With a stiff piece of cardboard, the Windex was then carefully, to avoid scratching the surface,  squeegeed out between the 2 layers to get rid of entrapped liquid and air bubbles. Unless you really float the joining surfaces with liquid you'll get a gazillion air bubbles that can't be removed. Don't ask me how I know.

Here's some photos. I've still got a long way to go, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Eric

eric

Hi again;

Forgot to add this. I didn't use any canopy glue at all to attach the windshield. Instead, I cut 1/4" strips of covering material and first sealed 1/8" to the windshield. Use a trim iron on LOW temperature so you don't melt the material. Next, simply seal the remaining 1/8" of material hanging over the edge to the framework. Slick, and no ugly bits of glue sticking out the edges.

Eric

Wingnutz

Looks great Eric! Keep it up! You'll inspire me to get back to the Norseman!

piker

I'm so excited to see all these Norseman's (Norsemen?).  At the TEMAC Fun Fly?????

BTW, what I've seen so far, in this thread, looks very good.

Robert

Papa

Well I've been working steadily to complete the build. I've cheated a little as I originally was going to do floats only but I'm having some thoughts on how to make the floats work the way I want. So I've put wheels on as the prototype would.
Tasks to do:
Hook up Rudder and Elevator clevis's.
Finish the struts.
Balance.

Ready to maiden. Anyone else close? If so I'll wait so we can do it together.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

piker

Papa

Well it's finished. Balances a bit more nose heavy but that will be fine for the maiden. AUW is 6lb 5oz. Planning for maiden sometime after 6:00pm on Friday. Couple of touch ups to do Friday morning. Anyone ready to join me from the Scratch Build Class?
A motto to live by:

sihinch