Bruce Weaver (CFI for 2018)

Started by bweaver, January 31, 2018, 12:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

I would like to introduce myself before others do, giving you the wrong impression.  My name is Bruce Weaver.   I am TEMAC's new Chief Flight Instructor (CFI*) for 2018.  I have also recently been referred to as the Foam Gnome, Evil, Cruel, etc., non of which are true.

Let's start at the beginning.  My interests in model aviation began when I was a youngster. 

I was raised in Willowdale (North York).  As a child, my next-door neighbor had a yellow Piper Cub hangered at the Buttonville Airport.  His wife and daughter didn't enjoy flying, so I was invited to go flying with him on a number of occasions.  I loved flying, loved the Cub and soon became hooked on things involving fixed wing aircraft. 

My first purchase of a powered model aircraft was a chromed plastic Cox 049 control line Corsair. It was a thing of beauty.  With the help of my friends Glenn, (not that Glenn), Milton Barsky (a long time MAAC member and Beginner Committee representative), Keith's Hobby Shop personnel (now long gone) and others, I was successful in getting this 'beginner' model into the air.  I progressed from the plastic Cox aircraft into building balsa profile and built up control line aircraft, including stunt, sport and semi-scale.  There were even built up voodoo combat wings. (Imagine that; two people flying combat while walking around in circles with a flying wing trailing a ribbon.)

Anyways, I grew older (haven't stopped yet – hope not to stop for a while) and continued building and flying control line aircraft.  I went to Earl Haig High School where I first met Katie. We were only friends at school, but a few years later after college, we were reintroduced.   While dating, Katie thought my interests in control line flying and building balsa airplanes was tolerable. However she thought 'I looked silly' (paraphrasing) flying model airplanes on wires, while walking around in circles.  As a result of her impressions of my hobby and me, she decided it was necessary to step up and get me out of walking around in circles. Katie bought me my first 4-channel MRC transmitter, receiver and servos.  She became a 'keeper'.  One of us proposed.  We got married, yada, yada, yada....

To make a long story shorter, we moved to Richmond Hill. The first RC airplane I built (installing that new 4 channel equipment in), was a yellow 4-channel balsa Cub. I joined the Richmond Hill Model Aircraft Club and soon started flying RC with the help of Lorne Leavens, Al Naylor and other locals.  I also became the club treasurer for a couple of years.

We had two children and we decided we would finish our basement.  In hindsight it was stupid, but the basement was finished without having a workshop area.  My models and un-started kits (future model aircraft dreams) were consigned to the garage where they sat for years in the rafters. Family commitments and other activities took me physically away from the hobby, but never emotionally/mentally.  On many occasions I found my hands cradling a make believe transmitter while moving my thumbs and forefingers to the thought of flying an RC aircraft once again.

Our family grew up. (Luggage was purchased for each of our children.)  I returned to RC joining the Aurora Model Aircraft Club, now known as the 905 Squadron.  I gave up fuel and went with electric power. I also purchased a new Spectrum radio to take advantage of the technological changes that had occurred while I was away from the hobby.  I started flying again at the Aurora club's Leslie Street and Wellington Road field.

I became friends with a number of the Aurora club regulars.  We mutually found out about TEMAC and soon thereafter joined.  Retired now, I do most of my flying at ROGO field with my friends including those of the 'morning crew'.  I fly regularly, meaning as often as time permits. 

I have assisted as an instructor at TEMAC for a number of years.  I enjoy flying all types of fixed wing model aircraft including foam, balsa, paper-foam board and any other type of material that I can get into the air, even a broom stick.  My flying practice includes, sport, 3D (more out of control than in control), warbird formation, combat and float flying.  My favorite plane is the plane that I am flying at the time.

I hope this introduction has given club members a little bit of insight into my model aircraft experiences and interests in this hobby.

*Please note, that while I am TEMAC's 2018 CFI, it is obvious to many (if not most) that I am far from being a 'great flyer' or pilot, but that won't stop me from trying to be a good CFI.  I have, can, and do wish to help newbies learn how to fly with the help of our club's many competent instructors and helpful ground crew assistants.  I would also like to support those club members who may wish for some assistance to improve their flying, or just help them in various ways to keep flying model aircraft and enjoying the hobby. This is a great hobby and a great club with outstanding members.  I am proud to be its' new CFI.

octagon

Thanks for the info Bruce. Glad to have you as CFI, Hope to be one of your instructors next year as my 30 year old son wants to graduate from Radio Cars to planes.
What could possibly go wrong?

sihinch

What a lovely introduction Bruce. Thanks so much for sharing. We're honoured to have you as our CFI and I'm privileged to have you as a friend.

Now, can't wait for Spring!

Frank v B

Bruce, are you sure you are the same guy as you wrote about?? ;D

Happy to help you out this year as time permits even if I am the example of how not to fly.

re: "There were even built up voodoo combat wings".

Just in case your memories keep going back, I am cataloguing a box of model airplane plans for John's Hobbies and came across plans for the "VooDoo".  I only got as far as building Combat Kittens .049 combat wings in my first life (as a teenager).

Thanks for taking on the job as CFI.  Much appreciated*.

Frank

* oops! A compliment by mistake.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Well, that saves me having to recommend that readers contact either Frank or myself for the True Bruce insights!

The real proof of Bruce's solid character as CFI is his exemplary record of attendance at winter snow flying, sans moaning about the cold!!!  Bruce will ensure all new pilots get a well-rounded exposure to RC, not just that sweaty, mosquito-ey, sun blocky summer stuff. 8)

And of course, Bruce will no doubt engender a thirst for blood in any new students, evidenced by his unparalleled commitment to the Warwings program!  (Go to timestamp 22:48 of the video at http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6482.msg42185.html#msg42185 to see vintage Bruce in action!  (Thanks for finding this Rob!!))

We are truly blessed to have his stewardship for the training program.  You won't find a more congenial instructor than Bruce!!  :D

Andy

Wingnutz

Buce, congratulations to you and TEMAC! You'll make a great CFI, inspite of Andy's less than flattering portrait!  :)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bweaver

Thank you to all who have offered kind words.  I look forward to CFIing this coming year.

@Wingnutz  Re:  Bruce, congratulations to you and TEMAC! You'll make a great CFI, inspite of Andy's less than flattering portrait!

Bill - The family thought the photo was quite complementary.  :'(  They said "I looked like I was in a good mood at the time it was taken".  I truly was.  (No wonder I often feel like I am so misunderstood.)

Wingnutz

Quote from: bweaver on February 11, 2018, 11:19:03 PM
Thank you to all who have offered kind words.  I look forward to CFIing this coming year.

@Wingnutz  Re:  Bruce, congratulations to you and TEMAC! You'll make a great CFI, inspite of Andy's less than flattering portrait!

Bill - The family thought the photo was quite complementary.  :'(  They said "I looked like I was in a good mood at the time it was taken".  I truly was.  (No wonder I often feel like I am so misunderstood.)

Wow! I have misunderstood you! I thought the yeti-like smurf in your TEMAC icon photo looked happier than you in Andy's portrait!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Andy Hoffer

I always try to go beyond the skin-deep beauty of my subjects to show their true inner selves!   8)

Andy

bweaver

I have to add a little bit to my bio, because I have found a new use for blue foam.  Works perfectly.  Also introductions to Cheech and Chong.

Frank v B

So the addition to your house is a blue foam playpen.  Does Katie get you to stay in it often? ;) ;D

Frank......Who else?

Cute puppies.  Can't wait to have them bark at me at the door and then ask me for my sandwich. :D
"Never trade luck for skill"