The year of the Crosswind- I flew today (Sat. July 9)- a perfect sunny day

Started by Frank v B, July 09, 2022, 09:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Had a fun time at the field flying all the planes in the picture.  The people who showed up and flew were : Cadez, David, Glenn, Rob, Vadim, and (Vintage) Simon.
One Ukranian Family showed up with a young son (approx 7 years old).  I showed him the Electro Uhu and RareBear up close after flying them.

In the photo are the planes:

front- Electro UHU by Graupner. This was the first electric kit plane that flew well with the old heavy equipment- brushed motors and Nicad batteries (1200 mah! on average- one pound heavier than today's power systems).  It flew much better than the electric Gentle Lady or Spectra.  You were lucky to get 75 feet of altitude on them before the batteries went dead.  The UHU flies great and has a much wider flight envelope than the American gliders.  Picked up the kit at the Kitchener Swap meet for $20.00 about 5 years ago.
mid: E-Flite PA-20, E-Flite Beaver (c), E-Flite Taylorcraft 450
Back- left: Hammer 15* with an EF-1 racing motor, 8x8 APC, on 4 cells.  right- E-Flite RareBear on 4 cells.

Frank

* Hammer 15- This is an incredibly smooth and fast flyer (EF-1 Speed, unlimited vertical).  A Dick Sarpoulos design from his '80's design series the Hammer 20, Hammer 40 and Sledgehammer (large gas).  This plane does not exist.  I used his .049 TackHammer design published in Flying Models Magazine with 34" span and blew up the drawings to 44" span.  It has poor man's retracts (hand-launch). 8)
The second photo is of my Hammer 15 that Andy took in flight a few years ago.  Note: no rudder in the turn.... but at least it has one. ;)

"Never trade luck for skill"