Thin wall Acetate Tubing?

Started by Papa, July 24, 2013, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Anyone know a source for or have access to some Thin Wall Acetate tubing 2 3/16" - 2 1/4". Suitable for air ducting to an EDF? Maybe some old packaging? All I have is square stuff.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

I believe what the guys normally do is roll there own from plastic sheet. I'm sure the edf guys will chime in.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Wingnutz

Dunno if I qualify as an EDF guy but I've just finished fabricating my third thrust tube for my 90mm EDF powered F-86. I would have been happy to buy thin wall acetate tube but I have no idea where to get it.
I used .010" thick whatever clear sheet (Plastic World's recommendation to replace the supplied thrust tube) which I purchased from Plastic World. I wanted something substantial enough to stand up to the exhaust pressure from the 90mm EDF in a tube that's nearly 24" long. The .010" was the thinnest they carry. I glued it with the adhesive recommended by Plastic World. Depending on how big a piece you need, I have some left over if  this isn't too heavy.
I've also made a few thrust tubes for 55mm EDFs and for those I've used page protectors from Staples simply stuck together with Scotch tape.Your 2-1/4" sounds pretty close to 55mm and I think the acetate in page protectors would do as long as you don't have to span more than 11". I'm guessing it may need to be supported externally to prevent collapse if it's an intake.
If you choose this route Jack, you'll have to roll your own...don't smoke it! ::)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!