Username Privacy

Started by imran13, November 05, 2013, 07:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imran13

Hi Ben,

I was just wondering is it possible to make this page viewable to forum members only? I googled myself and my post came up. I don't mind, except my full name is on there and there's some personal info.

Thanks
Imran
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

Imran,

There's an interesting lesson in here, I think.  I don't know how to accomplish your request, but I think we must all be aware in this digital age that, whatever we post or write on the internet will become some sort of record or history associated with our name.

Who knows what this "history" may look like in 10 or even 5 years, or how it will be used, but I think a good rule of thumb would be - don't write anything on the internet that you would want an employer, a parent or a stranger to know.

Just my 2c

Simon

imran13

I completely agree, and I trust all of you. Just if someone happened to google me they would find my last name and a location I go to often. But you're right I'll watch what I post more carefully :)

Thanks
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

bfeist

Hi Imran,
It's good that you're interested in, and concerned about your privacy. This is a public forum--if you are uncomfortable listing your real name you can remove it in your user profile. That said, posting your real name allows the others in the club to make a connection between your posts and who you are at the field.

If you use the same username somewhere else on the net, and don't want those other communities to know your full name, I can change your username to something else for this forum to kill that connection. It would probably be a good idea anyway given that there are two Imran usernames.

Send me a personal message with a new username idea and I can make the change.

Ben

imran13

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep my first name. I'll just remove my last name from any posts.