Apprentice model in tree - need help/suggestions

Started by Michael, June 11, 2014, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

We have student's Apprentice about 60 feet up in a tree behind the parking area.

Any suggestions on how to get it down?

(Ed spent about a half hour this evening with a fishing pole, that was not quite strong enough to secure a line around the tall branch.)
Michael

Michael

Here we were.  ;D
Michael

pmackenzie

Standard method is to tie something to a rope and throw that up in the tree.
Don't try to snag the model, but the branch it is on.
Once it is over the branch let the weight pull it down so you have both ends of the rope.
(You can use light string and then use it to pull something heavier over the branch)
Then pull/shake/etc. Idea is to get it to drop a bit, not get it down in one shot.

Be careful that the weight does not hit you. Stand a bit away from the tree and throw away from yourself, not straight up.

Ededge2002

Yes what I've done previously is cast a line over then pull a bigger line up and do exactly as you described Pat
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

I'm going to try to get it down this evening.
Michael

eddiecj

I'd like to fish it out with my larger drone, wouldn't be the first time, lassoed a warbird from 40ft up once and lowered her to safety to cheers of onlookers lol was great!

Michael

If you can, sure; try.

We (Greg H and I) were not successful today.

Jack H is getting a bow-and-arrow and a catapult, for further efforts Sunday mid-day.
Michael

eddiecj

Is there room for me to hover above it with my hex? The prop wash off 6 ten inch props is pretty powerful and may shake it out.

Andy Hoffer

Apprentice meditation:

eddiecj

No way! Can't hover anything above that, it's tangled in there good! How did it get that far into the tree! Full throttle into tree lol, it happens I guess, regardless, I spent my entire childhood climbing trees and I love doing it so I'm so excited about scaling that tree tomorrow!

eddiecj

Notice how it's ailerons are in full right bank, and elevator full throw down, interesting, would make for an awful descent lol

Ededge2002

does this have to become my last temac accomplishment?
Im going down there tomorrow evening

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Quote from: Ededge2002 on June 13, 2014, 12:01:19 AM

It better not be @Ededge2002

You need to keep in touch and visit us.  Plus I have 2 more big jets to build & fly.  We know where they end up, too....

Gregor77

I think the battery is toast on the plane now!  It was trying to correct it self all night!  ;o*

piker

Quote from: Ededge2002 on June 13, 2014, 12:01:19 AM
Im going down there tomorrow evening

Where the heck are YOU going?