Last build class!- Begin/int. Wed April 20

Started by Frank v B, April 14, 2016, 10:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Looks like the last build class before the summer break will be this coming Wednesday, April 20 at Colonel Mustards.  Here is our last chance to answer build questions on your projects in a class setting.  There will always be advice available via the Forum or personal e-mails.

Looks like the Fall build classes will start with Andy teaching firewall repairs.  The earth has grabbed 3 of his models and broken the firewalls off them (Beaver, Pitts, Super Sportster). I sure have some catching up to do. ;D.  Hell, at least Andy was flying out there in some blustery conditions.  The summer will seem like a cake walk.

See you Wednesday.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 14, 2016, 10:00:05 PM
Looks like the last build class before the summer break will be this coming Wednesday, April 20 at Colonel Mustards.  Here is our last chance to answer build questions on your projects in a class setting.  There will always be advice available via the Forum or personal e-mails.

Looks like the Fall build classes will start with Andy teaching firewall repairsThe earth has grabbed 3 of his models and broken the firewalls off them (Beaver, Pitts, Super Sportster). I sure have some catching up to do. ;D.  Hell, at least Andy was flying out there in some blustery conditions.  The summer will seem like a cake walk.

See you Wednesday.

Frank

Just tilling the soil for Frank so he'll have an easy entry!!  8)

Frank v B

On Wednesday I will bring my 60 size pattern plane. The plane is now completely covered in the basic colours.  I will show you the following:

- How to glue the stab and fin/rudder in place. 
- how to put trim stripes on the basic covered surfaces
- how to correct OOPS! lines at the edges of coloured trim.... when the iron curls the edge and the nice straight line is now a wavy line.

That is... provided all your questions are answered on your current projects.

... and Piker will just be Piker and ooze ability and direction from whatever work he plans to bring.  Education by osmosis. :)

Frank

piker

Well, since I'm in glassing mode, I figured I do a very quick fibre glassing demo for anyone who's interested.  If there's enough, more relevant, stuff going on, I'll skip it.   :)

bweaver

While not building anything needing fibre glass right now, I am going to go to the session to take in the glassing instruction.  I am sure I can use the guidance for future builds and repairs.

Frank v B

Bruce, I will ask the almighty Piker to do the fibreglassing demonstration tomorrow so we can all learn.  I will do the covering/tail feathers stuff and we will just flip back and forth.
Piker will probably also cover how to remove your fingers from the setting glass and how to remove glass spills from your clothing. :D

Frank

piker

Well, suddenly there's a lot of pressure... especially after the disaster of a glassing experience I went through last night.  Time for another approach, which I'll try tonight, and if that works out, I'll share tomorrow.

Don't worry.  It'll be a quick demo.

piker

Quote from: Frank v B on April 17, 2016, 09:17:07 PM
... and Piker will just be Piker and ooze ability and direction from whatever work he plans to bring.  Education by osmosis. :)

... I will ask the almighty Piker to do the fibreglassing...

Frank

Haven't you heard... sarcasm is the lowest form of humour   :P

BJROB

It was an awesome last class
to see planes almost complete from total newbies.
In just a few weeks...
This is a great testament  to the awesome instruction from our knowledgeable
club  members and there willingness to give up there time...
Every plane was different and so was the instruction
IT WAS SO MUCH FUN
even just to hang out
Thanks guys for doing that...

now to fly what I fixed???
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

bweaver

Similar to Bjerne's comment,  many thanks as well.  I only had a chance to attend a couple of the build classes but each was enjoyable and informative.  The skills the instructors demonstrated are great techniques for building better aircraft than if we were left to build on our own. Your encouragement is very supportive.  All of you provide so much support to the club and to its members.  Thanks!

gmcnic

Thank you Robert and Frank for putting on these clinics!

Although I am not a builder myself, I enjoy attending the dinners then seeing what kind of nuisance I can be during class.  :D
I witnessed some serious building with neat tools and tricks.  I gained an appreciation for just how much work goes into making the models and enjoyed seeing a skeleton of a plane become almost ready to fly in a matter of weeks.

Wonderful job by the instructors and builders!  Here are a few photos from the last 2 sessions.

Graham

Ashman001

Hi guys,

I would like to echo the same sentiment from my peers...Thank you to the instructors and other club members for all your help, advise and instruction.  It definitely was a great experience and I look forward to putting into practice what I learned, more likely with repairs ;)

Thanks again to all that helped, sacrificing your time to help us is greatly appreciated.

See you on the field.

Ash