Quick Safety Note

Started by davidk, September 22, 2023, 08:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

Just a quick safety note to all who are at the field but not flying when the grass is being cut.

There were a few of us at the field yesterday and I was at the north pilot station flying when the riding lawn mower fired up behind me.

I didn't know what was going on and it scared the crap out of me.  I then saw the mower come into view.
I couldn't hear my plane and I couldn't hear any of the people behind me.  All I saw was someone on the field cutting grass.
This situation was further complicated by a flyer who had lost his hatch at the edge of the beans while in flight, landed on the grass near the runway, left his plane on the runway and walked into the beans.
No amount of shouting from me that I had to land could be heard at the edge of the beans.  Kenny understood the situation and ran out to get the guy's plane and to warn him I was landing.
I waited until the lawn mower was at the south end behind the tables and then I landed safely.

I'll do the following any time I see pilots flying and the grass is about to be cut:

Ask the person cutting the grass to wait a few minutes until any flying pilots land.
Ask anyone who is about to fly to wait until the grass cutting has finished.
Approach any flying pilots cautiously and let them know the situation.  They can land sooner or finish their flight.  The grass cutting can wait a couple of minutes.

Thanks,

David