Ramping up for Winter (Projects, plans and special builds)

Started by Gregor77, September 18, 2013, 08:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

Well, with the nights getting shorter and less time to fly, I am sure that we are all planning out next builds or putting our wish lists together.  I was wondering what everyone is thinking of building over the winter?

Here are some of the items that I have planned:

E- Conversion on the H9 D7. (HK G60 and ESC to install) Easy!

Finish the BUSA DR-1 (Install servos and paint)

Work on another 1/4 sopwith pup and finish restoring the N17.   Just need to make some room as they are big planes.

Wish List:

Scratch build a Fokker Universal (I like the Jack H plans)  Would make a great float plane.

imran13

Nothing yet but hopefully find something... Looking at maybe a concorde build? Just a simple 2D build.

Suggestions anyone?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Frank v B

I have made my decisions:
- finish my Norseman from the build class before Jack fires me for non-performance of my duties as an instructor.
- have ordered the Rifle 1 m from John's Hobbies- eat your heart out Ed!  It takes a 28mm inrunner 3900 kv which I have already.
- will build an e-version of the Chili Breeze 48" span pattern plane.  This is the one that was totalled at last year's TEMAC funfly.  My favourite airplane.  Have built 4 already in 20 years.  This will be number 5 but the first E-specific build. 
- Build the 34" span Mini Tarka.  A little bullet for a 28mm inrunner.  The current one is still flyable but is about 15 years old and much repaired.  Flew it last week at TEMAC.
- whatever Jack gets me to build for this year's build classes.... if I am still a build class instructor (see first point)
- fix what I destroyed this year (Hammer 15, Fokker F27 twin, Micro Pitts)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Gregor77

I find that Fall is difficult to get motivated to build as the tree's start to change colour, it reminds me of Greg H and I trying to fly my first DR-1. 

If I can knock a plane off a week, it's probably a good start.  I just completed the ME109, so Maiden maybe this Sunday.

Gregor77

After this weekend, winter seems to be coming fast!

Anyways.. after the somewhat successful flight of the 109.  I have now focused "or lack of" to a Top Flite Corsair 60 size.   The markings made me curious as I got this second hand from Big John in Erie.  115.. It appears that the plane was modelled after Robert Hampton Gray.  He was the last Canadian to die in WW2.  He was awarded the Victory Cross for sinking a Japanse destroyer.  Unfortunately he did not survive the 7 other warships firing on him.

Otherwise another great Canadian plane to be restored and added to the collection.

I grabbed this on a bulk purchase, if you remember my Practical Scale Moth.  It was included in the deal.  So because it was a heavy early TF kit, it was built very sturdy.  But the strange part was that it had the balsa wood painted in house paint or spray bomb.  So it's finsh is not great at all, but they hand painted all the markings. ;o( At some point someone had started to sand the paint off and must have given up.  I don't blame them.  After some years of being handed around, the wing has some damage.   

I started with cutting the factory engine mounts off and re-doing the firewall.  Added the H9 electric motor mount and a HK G60 400 KV.  70 amp ESC and added some Hi-tech servos.  The plane still maintaines some of the old school ways of doing control surfaces and I will have to work around them.  It does have air retracts, but I have no way of pumping up the system unless someone can help me.  So for at least a few flites it will be fixed.

It appears that the paint is just dark blue Krylon so it will be easy to blend.  I will give it some usual Cadez weathering and I am hoping to have this plane done by the end of the week.